Help and support from the council – FAQs

With the rising cost of living, we are doing all we can to help - from free school meals to free adult social care - and working with local partners to help residents through this difficult time. 

Here we answer your questions about how you can get the help and support you need from H&F Council.

I'm on a low income - what help can I get to pay my rent?

You may qualify for housing benefit.

To find out if you qualify for support and make a claim see our make a new claim page.

I'm struggling to pay my rent – but I don’t qualify for housing benefits. Is there help?

Discretionary housing payments can help.

This is separate to the housing benefit scheme and all awards are made at the council’s discretion. 

Find out more about discretionary housing payments.

I'm a council tenant in H&F. What debt advice can I receive? I want to know more about my rights.

The H&F welfare benefits team provides welfare rights and debt advice to all council tenants.

See H&F welfare benefits team for contact details.

I'm currently claiming benefits. Could I be better off on Universal Credit?

To find out more visit Understanding Universal Credit.

I'm on a low income. What help can I get to pay my council tax bill?

We may be able to help.

To find out if you qualify for support and make a claim see our make a new claim page.

I'm living alone in a property - do I qualify for a council tax discount? Or are you a student living with other students?

You may be entitled to a discount or exemption. 

FInd out about discounts and exemptions for single occupiers and students.

I'm struggling to afford a school meal for my child. What help can I get?

We can help.

Find out about free school meals.

I'm struggling to afford the cost of school uniforms for my child. What help can I get?

We can help. 

Find out about our school uniform grants.

My child is struggling to afford the cost of travelling to and from school. What help can you offer families and young people?

We can help.

Find out if you're eligible for free school travel.

My child attends Woodlane High School or Fulham Cross Academy. Is there help with school meals?

All students at these 2 schools are offered a free meal at lunchtime. Here’s how to apply.

I need help in finding support and financial help - what am I entitled to?

See our benefits and money advice page for more information.

I need help because of an emergency or a crisis in my life. Who can I turn to for financial help?

You may be entitled to a Local Support Payment.

Are H&F providing any warm places for residents to visit?

Yes, we have activity hubs, Warm Welcomes, across the borough where you’ll get a friendly welcome to participate in activities and keep warm, have a free or low-cost healthy meal or just get some advice.

For details of opening hours and activities visit our warm welcomes page.

Translate this website