Building control

We are here to help you comply with building regulations.

We offer a pre-application service for building regulations approval and we'd be pleased to help you with any enquiries regarding building work that you intend to undertake.

Contact our duty officer on 020 8753 3387 (9.30am to 12.30pm) or email

Our role is to ensure that, when we receive a building control application where the council is appointed as the building control body, the building subject to that application is designed and constructed for the health, safety and welfare of people using it, and that it is accessible and energy-efficient.

We also provide a public protection service to residents where buildings become dangerous.

We offer:

  • Quality - Our qualified and experienced building control surveyors offer quality-assured, professional and impartial advice to residents and developers about adhering to building regulations.
  • A ‘one-stop shop’ - We have well-established links with the council’s planning, licensing and highways services, as well as a close working relationship with the London Fire Brigade, so we can provide you with everything you need for your application.
  • Direct contact - All our surveyors can be contacted directly by telephone, email and mobile.
  • Proper certification - We will issue a completion certificate to you on satisfactory completion of the project which you will need when you come to sell your property.

LABC and H&F guide to renovating and extending your home

LABC and H&F guide to renovating and extending your home (pdf 7.3MB)

In this guide we look at some typical home renovation projects, focussing primarily on how they relate to planning and building control.

To find out more about any issues raised and to find out how to go about obtaining consent for a home improvement project that you’re considering, you are welcome to contact us.

Building Control Services
5th Floor, Hammersmith Town Hall Extension
King Street
London WA6 9JU

020 8753 3387

Latest News

 Want to stay connected with H&F? Sign-up to the council