Make a new claim

Council tax support and housing benefit

If you would like to make a benefit claim, please use the benefits calculator first to get a basic calculation of what you may be entitled to.

  1. The application is in two parts. The first part of the application is a calculator which can give you an estimate of what you may be entitled to.
  2. The second part  of the application allows you to make a claim.

To submit a claim you must follow the two stages of the application. Please click the button to start the first part of making an application.

Check the benefit calculator

Use the online benefit application and calculator to:

  • see how much housing benefit and council tax support you could get if you rent
  • check and claim council tax support if you own your home
  • find out if you're entitled to pension credit.

The calculation is based on the information you provide.


You may get council tax support if:

  • you are liable to pay council tax for your property
  • are living in the property as your main home
  • you are on a low income
  • your savings are less than £16,000 (unless you’re receiving guaranteed pension credit)
  • you are on state benefits (including universal credit)
  • you are claiming a pension or over the pensionable age.

You may get housing benefit if you are a pensioner and:

  • you pay rent 
  • you are on a low income
  • your savings are less than £16,000 (unless you’re receiving guaranteed pension credit)
  • you are on state benefits
  • you are claiming a pension or over the pensionable age

Working age claimants may get housing benefit if:

  • you are in temporary or supported housing

You will not be eligible for council tax support or housing benefit if:

  • you are a full time student (unless you are disabled or have children)
  • the property you want to claim for is not your main home
  • you are an asylum seeker or do not usually live in the UK (for further details on this please go to the Chartered Institute of Housing website).

If I qualify, what next?

If you see you might be entitled and submit the online form, you will find a list of documents you will need to when you apply. Please provide this evidence within one calendar month of the date you made your claim, otherwise your claim will be delayed.

If you have applied for other benefits like tax credits, but haven’t been advised what you will receive, you can still use the online form. Please let us know as soon as you receive any other benefits as this will affect your benefit calculation.

Once we have processed your benefit application, you will be able to check your benefit details online via My Account. You will need to open a My Account and then link your benefit account.

What if I don't appear to qualify?

If you use the calculator and don't appear to qualify, please check you have provided all the relevant information and that all the amounts you have included are correct.

  • if the information you provided is correct but you have no entitlement, then perhaps consider whether you should proceed.
  • if you decide not to submit the claim, then click on the X at the top right hand side of the calculator and you will return to this page.

Further information

More about claiming housing benefit and council tax support

If you think the calculation might be wrong, you can still proceed with your application and your claim can be submitted. However, you may also consider seeking independent advice instead.

Your benefits letter explained

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit you can claim if you’re on a low income or unemployed.

If you are of working age and want to make a new claim you must claim Universal Credit rather than housing benefit or any of the other benefits listed below.

Visit the Citizens Advice website to check if you can claim Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is gradually replacing the following six welfare benefits:

  • housing benefit
  • income based jobseeker's allowance
  • income related employment and support allowance
  • income support
  • child tax credit

Apply for Universal Credit

Universal Credit and council tax support are separate schemes and claiming Universal Credit does not automatically entitle you to council tax support. If you have recently claimed or been awarded Universal Credit and would like help with your council tax, please use the benefit application and calculator.