Benefits and money advice

Find out about benefits you could be entitled to and how to get extra support in a crisis. 

Find out about benefits you could be entitled to

Find out how Universal Credit could help you, see understanding Universal Credit.

If you are a council tenant in H&F, our Welfare Benefits Team can provide welfare rights advice including debt advice, support to identify benefit entitlement and apply for grants. Contact us about benefits.

H&F benefit calculator

H&F Benefit calculator (

Pensions credit calculator

If you're older, please have a look at the Pension Credit calculator.

To use these calculators you’ll need information about savings, income, pension, childcare payments and any existing benefits (for you and your partner).

Help for Households campaign

Income support - Help for Households

Cost of Living Payments

The government has announced further Cost of Living Payments between spring 2023 and spring 2024. These payments are automatic for the following:

  • £301 for people on an eligible low income benefit, to be paid during spring 2023
  • £150 for people on an eligible disability benefit, to be paid during summer 2023
  • £300 for people on an eligible low income benefit, to be paid during autumn 2023
  • £300 for pensioner households, to be paid during winter 2023 to 2024
  • £299 for people on an eligible low income benefit, to be paid in spring 2024

For guidance on getting extra payments to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits see Cost of Living Payments (GOV.UK)

If you need advice on how to claim these benefits please call our cost-of-living crisis team on 0800 917 6994.

Crisis Prevention Scheme

You may be able to get up to £900 to help deal with a financial emergency if you don't have enough money for basics like food, gas and electricity.

Apply for a crisis prevention payment

Financial help if you are disabled

Visit GOV.UK to find out about the wide range of disability-related financial support available. 

Cost of living support: If you’re disabled or have a health condition - GOV.UK

Organisations that can advise about benefits and financial difficulties

Need help with your household bills? Get tips from MoneySavingExpert.

Want some free and impartial money advice? Try the Money Advice Service.

Want to learn more about how to build your own budget, ways to balance it and how to set money aside for regular bills? Like to pick up some practical tools and tips to use in your daily life?

Try Crosslight's free interactive money skills course. It's available online and face-to-face. 

Or if you’re looking for an even quicker way to create a budget, why not try a budgeting app?

Find out about budgeting apps on the Which? website.

If you need help to reduce your regular living costs, try these ideas from Citizens Advice.


Age UK Warm Home Programme: the programme helps in 3 key ways: 
•       benefit entitlement checks
•       home energy checks
•       providing advice

Age UK Warm Home Programme


0300 3730 1180

Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm

Crosslight offers free, impartial debt advice to anyone struggling with problem debt. Book an appointment with their advisers to get started, you can meet them at one of Crosslight's branches or arrange to speak to them on the phone if easier.

Citizens Advice Hammersmith & Fulham

General enquiries: 0300 330 1162

Help to claim Universal Credit: 0800 144 8444

Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

Get help with the cost of living - Citizens Advice

Money Helper 

Money Helper provides advice on how to save on gas and electricity and what help is available to households who are concerned about paying their bills or missing a payment.

How to reduce your energy bills | MoneyHelper

H&F Credit Union

020 7460 2620

Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm

H&F Foodbank

020 8746 7718

H&F Law Centre

020 3880 1727

Monday to Thursday, 10am to 12 noon and 3pm to 5pm


Guidance for people with a learning disability and their families and carers on how to get help with food, energy and fuel costs.



A fuel poverty charity which provides advice on warm and safe homes and for those struggling to pay their bills.

National Energy Action (NEA)

NEA’s multi-lingual advice leaflets

Shelter England

Help with energy bills and the cost of living - Shelter England

Welfare benefits team

020 8753 5566

Monday and Friday,  9am to 12.30pm   
Wednesday, 1.30pm to 4.30pm

Welfare benefits advice for council tenants

Translate this website