Welfare benefits advice for council tenants

The welfare benefits team provides comprehensive welfare rights advice for all council tenants. This includes help to identify benefits and grants that you may be entitled to, completing application forms, help to request reviews of decisions and personal budgeting support.

What are welfare benefits?

Welfare benefits is a system of financial support, primarily administered by the Department for Work & Pensions. In order to access this support, claimants must meet a set of qualifying criteria. There are currently more than 30 different types of benefits and grants.

Welfare benefits rental income team 

  • Sonia Meikle - welfare benefits manager
  • Uyi Abosede, Antoine Turpin, Kasia Marszalec - welfare benefits officers
  • Funmi Oyewole - housing benefit assessor
  • Evelyn Alcock - court officer

What we do

The welfare benefits rental income team provides advice to council tenants and members of their households. We help with identifying and applying for benefits and grants to maximise income and personal budgeting support to reduce debt as an early intervention to prevent homelessness through:

  • initial contact/benefit check
  • assistance with applying for benefits and grants
  • reconsideration and appeal representation
  • debt and money advice – budget planning
  • training and presentations
  • signposting to other services and support

How do I claim benefits?

In order to make a claim for benefits, you will need to complete an application. This can be done over the phone, online or by completing a paper form.

All applications will require some proof of identity and other evidence such as bank statements and payslips. Some benefits also require that you undergo a health assessment.

You can use the free Entitledto benefits calculator to find out how much you might get.

Benefit forms

Further information and factsheets

See our frequently asked questions

Welfare benefits team Spring 2024 factsheet

Spring budget statement summary March 2024

Tax credits are ending - Understanding Universal Credit - September 2023

Contact the welfare benefits team

Council tenants can call our advice line for help and advice on 020 8753 5566. The advice line is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:30am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 4:30pm.

You can email us at welfare.benefit@lbhf.gov.uk or fill in the contact form below.

You can also ask your rental income support officer to book an appointment with us for you.

We are having face to face advice sessions at Jobcentres. Please contact the team to book an appointment.

Contact form

Contact the welfare benefits team

Translate this website