Student benefits and grants
A government agency, Student Finance England, now deals with applications and queries about student loans or student grants for tuition fees and living costs, extra help, student loan repayments.
All enquiries should be made directly to Student Finance England, by calling 0845 3005 090 or visiting the Student Finance England website.
Free school meals and school clothing grants
These are available for pupils whose parents/carers receive certain benefits (see below).
Free school meals and school clothing grant application form (pdf)
Please complete and return to the address shown on the form
More on clothing allowances
These are available to help parents who live in H&F to buy school uniforms for their children.
£31 for children aged 4 to 7 before 1 September of the current year
£79 for children aged 11 and 14 before 1 September.
Your children qualify for free school meals and/or clothing grants to buy school uniforms if you receive any of the qualifying benefits:
- income support
- income based job seekers allowance
- income related employment and support allowance
- guaranteed pension credit
- you are supported under the national asylum seekers support system (NASS)
- child tax credit, but not working tax credit and have an annual taxable income of less than £16,190
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400).
Universal Credit transitional protection
Pupils currently receiving free school meals will continue to receive them while Universal Credit is rolled out. This will apply even if your earnings rise above the new threshold during that time.
Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out, pupils receiving free school meals but who no longer qualify for them because your earnings have risen above the new threshold will continue to receive them until the end of their current phase of education (primary or secondary).
Ways to contact us
In person: h&f Direct Centre, 1st floor, Town Hall Extension, King Street, Hammersmith, London W6 9JU.
You can visit the office to hand in the form. If you want to discuss the application with an officer you will need to book an appointment.
By post: London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham, h&f Direct, Town Hall Extension, King Street, W6 9JU.
020 8753 6681 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Travel to school
Your child may be eligible for free school travel, up to and including year 11, where it is not possible for the journey from home to school to be completed by bus only, either because the journey would take too long or because it would involve more than two changes of bus.
To qualify for the payment of fares to school:
- You must live in Hammersmith & Fulham.
- Pupils must attend their nearest available school.
- If you didn't apply to the nearest school of the desired type, or a place was offered but you didn't accept it, we won't accept your travel application. If you are not successful in obtaining a place at the nearest school of your preferred type, you must supply evidence of this.
- The nearest available school must be more than two miles from the parental home for pupils under eight years old and three miles for pupils aged over eight.
- A bus journey would take more than 45 minutes for a primary school pupil or 75 minutes for a secondary school pupil, in accordance with the shortest time stated by TfL.
- The pupil has a statement of special education needs.
- Exceptional circumstances such as a medical need. We need independent evidence of this.
Sixth formers and college students should apply directly to their sixth form or college for travel via the 16-19 bursary. Further information is available on GOV.UK.
Or call the school admissions team on 020 8753 1085