Financial assessment for discretionary housing payment
After receiving housing benefit, if you are still in financial difficulty due to a shortfall between your benefit entitlement and the rent you are charged, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP).
We will look closely at your personal circumstances and your finances, and may make an additional award of benefit if you are suffering hardship. This benefit is paid from a fixed annual fund and is a discretionary payment and is not awarded to everyone who claims it.
A discretionary housing benefit payment form is different to the form that you will have filled in when you first claimed housing or council tax benefit.
Local Support Payments
If you need help because of an emergency or a crisis you may be entitled to a Local Support Payment (LSP).
You may also qualify if you need help to remain or settle in the community.
The payments we award are usually furniture, white goods, or store vouchers.
Before you can claim a Local Support Payment you have to:
- be claiming a qualifying benefit, or about to claim one because you are leaving care or an institution such as hospital or prison
- live in Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea or Westminster, or have been housed elsewhere by one of those boroughs
- not have more than £1,000 savings, and not have had more than two LSPs in the last 12 months
If you think that you may be entitled to a payment you can apply online:
or call 020 7745 6464
If you would like help from the advice centres, get in touch:
OnePlace Hub offers free and impartial advice and support to help you manage your finances. See Helping you manage your money
Crosslight Debt Advice
Crosslight Debt Advice is an independent charity dedicated to helping local people manage and avoid money and debt problems. They have an experienced trained team committed to offering practical guidance free of charge to anyone, regardless of background. By appointment only, arranged by phone or email.
Hammersmith & Fulham Citizens Advice Bureau
For general advice services, including debt and welfare benefits advice.
For any new problem (except debt): 0300 330 1162 (10am-4pm)
- For new enquiries about debt only: 020 3137 6295 (10am-3pm)
- If you are already being helped with a problem and you wish to contact your advisor: 020 7386 9068 (10am-3pm)
- Visit us at the Advice Centre – 338 Uxbridge Road, London W12 7LL.
- By post: Avonmore Library and Neighbourhood Centre, 7 North End Road, West Kensington, London W14 8TG.
105 Greyhound Road, London W6 8NJ
020 7386 9085
H&F Credit Union Limited
H&F Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial co-operative providing low-cost loans and an ethical place to save for everyone who lives or works in the borough.