Help paying

Council tax support

If you are on a low income and need help to pay your council tax bill, then you may qualify for council tax support.

Find out if you qualify for council tax support by using our online application and calculator.

Apply for council tax support

Use the online benefit application and calculator to:

  • see how much housing benefit and council tax support you could get if you rent
  • check and claim council tax support if you own your home
  • find out if you're entitled to pension credit.

The calculation is based on the information you provide.

Universal Credit (UC) and council tax support are separate schemes and claiming UC does not automatically entitle you to council tax support. If you have recently claimed or been awarded UC and would like help with your council tax, please use the online benefit application and calculator to apply.

More about claiming housing benefit and council tax support

Discretionary housing payment

After receiving housing benefit, if you are still in financial difficulty due to a shortfall between your benefit entitlement and the rent you are charged, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP).

We will look closely at your personal circumstances and your finances, and may make an additional award of benefit if you are suffering hardship. This benefit is paid from a fixed annual fund and is a discretionary payment and is not awarded to everyone who claims it.

Discretionary housing benefit payment application form (82KB pdf)

A discretionary housing benefit payment form is different to the form that you will have filled in when you first claimed housing or council tax benefit.

Discretionary housing payment policy

For more information please see our appeals and discretionary housing payment frequently asked questions

Local Support Payments

If you need help because of an emergency or a crisis you may be entitled to a Local Support Payment (LSP). You may also qualify if you need help to remain or settle in the community.

Normally the payments we award are usually furniture, white goods, or store vouchers.

In response to the coronavirus crisis, Hammersmith & Fulham Council is providing almost £2million of immediate financial support to help residents in need to meet basic living costs.

This support can be awarded as 2 week advance payment through the Local Support Scheme. 

To be eligible to claim a Local Support Payment you have to:

  • have applied for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit and are waiting for your claim to be determined
  • live in Hammersmith & Fulham, or have been housed elsewhere by the council
  • not have more than £1,000 savings, and not have had more than two LSPs in the last 12 months

If you think that you may be entitled to a payment you can apply online.

Local Support Payments form

If you need further information about LSP, please call us on 020 7745 6464

Welfare benefits advice for council tenants

The H&F welfare benefits team provides welfare rights and debt advice to all council tenants. 

Advice centres

If you would like help from the advice centres, get in touch:

OnePlace Hub

OnePlace Hub offers free and impartial advice and support to help you manage your finances. See Helping you manage your money

Crosslight Debt Advice

St Paul's Hammersmith, Queen Caroline Street, London, W6 9PJ
020 7052 0318
Visit the Crosslight Debt Advice website

Crosslight Debt Advice is an independent charity dedicated to helping local people manage and avoid money and debt problems. They have an experienced trained team committed to offering practical guidance free of charge to anyone, regardless of background. By appointment only, arranged by phone or email.

Citizens Advice Hammersmith & Fulham

For general advice services, including debt and welfare benefits advice. 

Visit the H&F Citizens Advice website
Twitter @CAHFservice

For any new problem (except debt): 0300 330 1162 (10am-4pm)

  • For new enquiries about Debt only 0800 808 5810 (10am to 5pm)
  • If you are already being helped with a problem and you wish to contact your advisor: 020 7386 9068 (10am-3pm)
  • Visit us at the Advice Centre – 338 Uxbridge Road, London W12 7LL.
  • By post: Avonmore Library and Neighbourhood Centre, 7 North End Road, West Kensington, London W14 8TG.

Age Concern

105 Greyhound Road, London W6 8NJ
020 7386 9085

H&F Credit Union Limited

274 North End Road, London, SW6 1NJ
020 7471 2620 
Visit the London Plus Credit Union website

H&F Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial co-operative providing low-cost loans and an ethical place to save for everyone who lives or works in the borough.