Ending a tenancy

Advice about what you need to do when leaving your property.

What to do if you want to leave

Thank you for being part of Hammersmith & Fulham and living in one of our homes. We are sorry that you want to leave us, but we know that circumstances can change. We wish you all the best in your next step. 

If you are definite about leaving us, you must give us 4 weeks written notice before your tenancy can end.

To do this you can complete the vacation notice form (pdf). You will need to print the form, complete it and return it to us in person or by post, as we require a signature from you.

Once you have given notice, we will:

  • explain the next steps involved in ending your tenancy
  • be here to answer any questions you may have
  • arrange a visit with a repairs contractor to inspect the condition of your home before you leave.

  You must:

  • pay your rent until the end of your tenancy and complete any outstanding repairs that you are responsible for
  • clear the home of all your belongings and make sure it's clean and tidy, including the garden, when you leave. See the section clearing a home
  • let H&F workers and contractors complete visits to your property. They will phone you to make an appointment
  • return your keys before 12 noon on the fourth Monday after notice is given.

What to do if someone has moved into care

If the resident needs to move or has moved from the property into care, such as a residential care home, the following should happen:

  • The resident will need to give 4 weeks notice in writing to end the tenancy. They will need to print the vacation notice form (pdf), complete it and return it to us in person or by post, as we require a signature from them.
  • If the resident is unable to give notice in writing, a next of kin can provide the completed form with a signature from the resident.
  • If the resident is unable to provide a signature, someone with power of attorney or a legal representative can sign the form.

Contact the housing team ff you have any further questions.

What to do if someone passes away

Firstly, we are sorry to hear this. We're sure this will be a difficult time for you and we are here to help make the transition of the tenancy as simple as possible.

You will need to:

  • provide notice in writing to end the tenancy by printing, completing and returning the vacation notice form (pdf) by post or in person. We will work with you to end the tenancy at your convenience
  • confirm whether you are the next of kin or executor of the estate. If not, you will need to tell us who this is and their contact details
  • provide a death certificate
  • arrange for any belongings in the property to be cleared
  • return the keys to the property if you have them.

 What you need to know:

  • any housing benefit will finish from the date of death
  • if a notice is not received from you, a notice to quit will be served by us.

Can I or a family member take on the tenancy?

Depending on the circumstances, you or a family member may be able to take over the tenancy.

This is known as succession. If you wish to discuss this further, make sure you contact us.

Clearing a home

There are lots of local companies who provide furniture and other recycling services. Here are some companies you could use.

Paying your final rent and bills

Contact your:

  • local housing office or the rent income team on 0800 093 3132 to make your final rent payment
  • energy suppliers for your final energy bill a week before you leave
  • phone company and other suppliers with a forwarding address a week before you leave.

Contact your housing officer if you need further guidance on moving home.

Translate this website