Bulky waste collections
The council’s bulky waste service is for items that are too big to go in your bin or can't be thrown away with your normal rubbish such as electrical items and builders' rubble. You’ll need to list each item for collection when you book your collection.
Is your bulky waste reusable? See Reduce and reuse for more details on how to organise a free collection. Give it a new home by getting it collected for free by the British Heart Foundation or TRAID. Donating your unwanted furniture and electrical items helps save money and reduce waste.
Consider selling or donating your unwanted bulky goods to other residents in the local area via H&F Freegle, don't throw it away, give it away! If these options are unsuitable, book a bulky waste collection below.
- Costs for bulky waste collections
- What we can't collect
- Preparation and collection
- Rescheduling or cancelling your collection
- Adding or removing items
- Council tenants with caretaking service
- Commercial customers or businesses
- Building work and DIY
- Booking and contact details
Household bulky waste
- £27.56 for up to 10 items, The ten items can be any combination of pieces including household furniture, bags, electrical items.
- Extra items: we’ll collect extra items for a charge, just ask for a quotation. A visit may be necessary in some cases. If you need a visit and quote, the minimum charge is £36.14.
Household derived builder's rubble
- £30.62 - minimum charge for up to 5 sacks of household derived builders rubble
- £3 for each additional sack collected
- £30.62 for up to 5 items including baths, toilets, hand basins and shower stands
- £5.92 - for each additional item collected
Housing fencing waste
- £35.70 for the first 5 panels
- £5.92 for each additional panel
- £61.92 for broken down sheds
We charge the actual cost for the following situations:
- removal of debris after a motor incident (minor accident)
- removal of debris after a motor incident (major accident)
- removal of abandoned vehicles from land other than the public highway or council land
- private land clearance.
We can't collect paint and other hazardous materials, including asbestos and chemicals and large amounts of builder’s waste. More information on where these can taken can be found at Rubbish (non-recyclables)
Once you've paid, you'll be given a reference number in your confirmation email (or by our contact centre if you don't have an email).
Please attach a notice with this number clearly showing, onto all bulky waste items you place out for collection. This allows collection crews to identify your items and separate them from anything that may have been fly-tipped (dumped) nearby.
Please put your items out ready for collection by 6am on the day of collection.
You can reschedule or cancel your collection up to 4pm the day before collection, Monday to Thursday, 1pm on Friday but excluding bank holidays, by calling 020 8753 1100. Select the link contained in your confirmation e-mail, or via My requests in your My Account. If you booked over the telephone and don't have an email address please telephone Cleaner Greener on 020 8753 1100.
If items are not presented at the time of collection, a refund won’t be provided and you’ll need to rebook and pay for a new collection slot if required.
There may be times when the council have to reschedule a collection often for reasons outside our control. The council reserves the right to change the collection date but will give as much notice as possible to customers if we do this.
If the items are on the footpath, please bring them back onto your property and put them back out for the rearranged collection date. Leaving bulky waste on the public highway on non-collection days is a fly tipping offence.
The standard collection fee includes up to 10 items.
- If you add or remove items within the 10 item limit you won’t receive an additional fee or refund but you need to tell us what you're adding otherwise the crew may not collect.
- If you add more items and exceed the 10 item limit you must pay the additional collection fee. There may also be a delay to your scheduled collection as a visit may be required and you may have to pay any additional charges.
- If you have paid for additional items and then find you can remove items from your booking bringing it into the 10 item limit, you’ll receive a partial refund providing you tell us in advance.
You can make changes to your booking up to 4pm the day before collection, Monday to Thursday, 1pm on Friday but excluding bank holidays, by calling 020 8753 1100.
We’ll give you a complete refund if the collection is cancelled by 4pm the day before collection, Monday to Thursday, 1pm on Friday but excluding bank holidays.
We’ll give you a complete refund if we miss a collection and don’t come back to collect by the end of the next working day (excludes Sunday), as long as the uncollected items have been presented for collection correctly. No refund will be given for missed items not presented for collection correctly, or put out by 6am on the day of collection. No refund will be given if you put out fewer items than you paid for.
All refunds will have to be requested through our call centre.
There are different arrangements for collecting your bulky waste. Please contact your caretaking service on 0800 0599 925 to arrange a place and date for collection.
You can also contact your caretaking service via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact our commercial waste service to arrange disposal of commercial waste.
The reuse and recycling centre Western Riverside accepts household waste (including a small quantity of DIY-type waste).
However, if tradespeople are working on your home, please make sure they are contracted to dispose of the waste they produce.
You will be asked to log in to or register with My Account to access the booking form.
Payment will be taken as part of the online booking process.
For more information on bulky waste collections or if you need to book a collection by phone, contact our Cleaner Greener hotline:
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
020 8753 1100