Bulky waste collections
Before arranging a collection do you think the item can be reused? See Reduce and reuse for information about how to donate unwanted furniture and household items.
The council’s bulky waste service is for items which are too big to go in your bin or cannot be thrown away with your normal rubbish such as electrical items and builders rubble. You’ll need to list each item for collection when you book your collection.
Costs for this service
Household bulky waste
- £26.55 for up to 10 items, The ten items can be any combination of pieces including household furniture, bags, electrical items.
- Extra items: we’ll collect extra items for a charge, just ask for a quotation. A visit may be necessary in some cases. If you need a visit and quote, the minimum charge is £34.82.
Household derived builder's rubble
- £29.50 - minimum charge for up to 5 sacks of household derived builders rubble
- £2.90 for each additional sack collected
- £29.50 for up to 5 items including baths, toilets, hand basins and shower stands
- £5.70 - for each additional item collected
Housing fencing waste
- £34.40 for the first 5 panels
- £5.70 for each additional panel
- £59.65 for broken down sheds
We charge the actual cost for the following situations:
- removal of debris after a motor incident (minor accident)
- removal of debris after a motor incident (major accident)
- removal of abandoned vehicles from land other than the public highway or council land
- private land clearance.
We don’t accept cash, but you can pay by credit or debit card.
Payments can be taken over the phone, please call Cleaner Greener on 020 8753 1100.
Preparation and collection
Once you've paid, you'll be given a reference number by our contact centre.
Please attach a notice with this number clearly showing, onto all bulky waste items you place out for collection. This allows collection crews to identify your items and separate them from anything that may have been fly-tipped (dumped) nearby.
Please put your items out ready for collection by 6am on the day of collection.
Rescheduling or cancelling your collection
You can reschedule or cancel your collection up to 4pm the day before collection, Monday to Thursday, 1pm on Friday but excluding bank holidays, by calling 020 8753 1100.
If items are not presented at the time of collection, a refund won’t be provided and you’ll need to rebook and pay for a new collection slot if required.
There may be times when the council have to reschedule a collection often for reasons outside our control. The council reserves the right to change the collection date but will give as much notice as possible to customers if we do this.
Adding or removing items
The standard collection fee includes up to 10 items.
- If you add or remove items within the 10 item limit you won’t receive an additional fee or refund but you need to tell us what your adding otherwise the crew may not collect.
- If you add more items and exceed the 10 item limit you must pay the additional collection fee. There may also be a delay to your scheduled collection as a visit may be required and you may have to pay any additional charges.
- If you have paid for additional items and then find you can remove items from your booking bringing it into the 10 item limit, you’ll receive a partial refund providing you tell us in advance.
You can make changes to your booking up to 4pm the day before collection, Monday to Thursday, 1pm on Friday but excluding bank holidays, by calling 020 8753 1100.
We’ll give you a complete refund if the collection is cancelled by 4pm the day before collection, Monday to Thursday, 1pm on Friday but excluding bank holidays. No refund will be given for late cancellation.
We’ll give you a complete refund if we miss a collection and don’t come back to collect by the end of the next working day (excludes Sunday), as long as the uncollected items have been presented for collection correctly. No refund will be given for missed items not presented for collection correctly, or put out by 6am on the day of collection. No refund will be given if you put out fewer items than you paid for.
All refunds will have to be requested through our call centre.
Council tenants with caretaking service
There are different arrangements for collecting your bulky waste. Please contact your caretaking service on 0800 0599 925 or 0845 160 084 to arrange a place and date for collection.
You can also contact your caretaking service via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commercial customers or businesses
Please contact our commercial waste service to arrange disposal of commercial waste.
Building work and DIY waste
The reuse and recycling centre Western Riverside accepts household waste (including a small quantity of DIY-type waste).
However, if tradespeople are working on your home, please make sure they are contracted to dispose of the waste they produce.
Booking and contact details
We are sorry, we are not taking new bookings for bulky waste collections at the moment while we prioritise the collection of household waste and recycling. If you have already booked a collection we will collect as normal.
For bookings or more information on bulky waste collections contact our Cleaner Greener hotline:
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
020 8753 1100