Making changes to a tenancy

Updating your name on a tenancy, giving your tenancy to somebody else, inheriting a tenancy, or adding another person to your tenancy.

Have you changed your name since you moved in?

You can update the name on your tenancy agreement by contacting your local housing office, or

You’ll be asked to come in and bring some proof of ID to make sure nobody is making unauthorised changes to your tenancy.

If you’ve changed your name it’s important you let us know as soon as possible. If you don’t, it may delay an application to buy your home, or cause complications when your tenancy passes to a family member.

Adding your partner to your tenancy

Once your tenancy becomes secure or secure flexible, you may wish to add your partner to the tenancy so that it becomes a joint tenancy. This is an important decision and we suggest that you take independent legal advice when considering this. To be approved for a joint tenancy, your partner can't already own a property.

If you decide to go ahead with this you'll need to:

  • show your marriage or civil partnership certificate to your housing officer, or evidence that your partner has lived with you for 12 months
  • be up to date on your rent payments.

If you’re happy you can meet these conditions, please ask your housing officer for an application form.

If you want to assign your tenancy to someone else

You can assign your tenancy to someone who’d have the right to inherit your tenancy after your death. This is called an assignment and can only happen once per tenancy. In this case, all the rights and responsibilities of the tenancy pass from you to the new tenant. 
The council won’t support assignments that lead to a property being under-occupied and the property can only be assigned to one person. You must be up to date with your rent payments for your application to be considered and you can’t assign a joint tenancy.

Contact your housing officer for an assignment application form. 

View an example of the assignment form (pdf 156KB) - do not fill it in

Inheriting a tenancy (succession)

If you’ve recently lost someone close to you, it’s important that you register the death within 5 days. For more information, go to how to register a death.

If they're a council tenant, you also need to tell their housing officer and the housing benefits team.

When a council tenant dies, a joint tenant, husband, wife, or civil partner will usually be entitled to take over the tenancy. This is known as a succession and can only happen once per tenancy. In certain situations, other family members who have been living with the tenant for a year up until the date they died may also have this right.

For us to check whether you can succeed to the tenancy you’ll need to complete some paperwork with us. Contact your housing officer who will arrange to meet you and take you through it.

If you’re not a joint tenant or the husband, wife or civil partner of the tenant who has died and the house is too large for your needs, you’ll need to move to a smaller property.

For further information see our successions guidance and our successions policy. You can contact the housing office if you need further advice.

Download the:

Keeping your tenancy details up to date

We want to make sure that your tenant records are up to date so we’re able to provide you with a good service.

Contact your housing officer to let them know about any changes to:

  • your contact details
  • your emergency contact details
  • you or your family members’ support needs
  • the members of your household.

Translate this website