Guidance for applicants and businesses

A pre-application advice service to support your licensing application made under the Licensing Act 2003.

We offer a pre-application advice service to support your licensing application made under the Licensing Act 2003. The aim is to help you to mitigate any problems which may arise during the application process. However, our advice cannot prejudge the outcome of the licensing application, especially if representations are received and a hearing takes place before the Licensing Sub-Committee.

Licensing pre-application advice

Licensing Act 2003

Premises licences
To provide late-night refreshments and regulated entertainment, and sell alcohol, you need a licence from the local authority if you are in England and Wales.

Personal licences
A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply or alcohol under the Licensing Act 2003.

Club premises certificates
To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate.

Temporary event notices (TEN)
How to apply for permission to hold an ad-hoc event which involves licensable activities (sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or late night refreshment).

Gambling Act 2005

Gambling and betting licences
The Gambling Act 2005 deals with the licensing of premises used for gambling (casinos, betting shops, gaming arcades and bingo halls and such like) the registration of small non commercial lotteries, and permits.

Gaming permits
Gaming permits under the Gambling Act 2005- for use by premises licensed to supply alcohol for consumption on the premises under the Licensing Act 2003 or for use by members’ clubs, commercial clubs and miners’ welfare institutes.

Lottery registration
Societies who run Small Society Lotteries, that is lotteries which are not Large Lotteries as defined under the Gambling Act 2005 must be registered with their local authority.

Temporary use notices (TUN)
A TUN is a notice which authorises a person or an organisation to conduct gaming activities for a temporary period of time at a particular premises.

Other licences and registration

Civil marriage and civil partnership, licence to use premises
To hold a civil partnership ceremony or civil wedding at premises in England or Wales, the premises must be approved by your local authority.

Scrap metal licences
A person carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer if he: carries on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it was bought, or carries on a business as a motor salvage operator.

Sex establishments licence
A licence to use any premises, vehicle, vessel or stall as a sex establishment.

Translate this website