Temporary event notices

How to apply for a temporary event.

Apply now

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event which involves licensable activities (sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or late night refreshment), you must give us a temporary event notice (TEN) before the event.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in an area governed by two or more local authorities notifications must be submitted to each authority.

When do I need to submit the TEN?

A standard temporary event notice should be sent to us at least 10 working days before the proposed event (excluding the event day and the day the notice is submitted).

Late notices – we may accept a temporary event notice submitted between five and nine working days before the event (excluding the event day and the day the notice is submitted).

Outdoor events

If your event is being held outdoors you need our prior consent for events which will take place on the public highway, or for events which will take place in any of the borough's parks.

Further information on town hall venues and parks hire.

A plan of the area where the event will take place should also be submitted with the temporary event notice.

How much does it cost?

A fee of £21 is payable with the notice. This fee is to cover the processing of the application and is non-refundable in the event that the notice is withdrawn, invalid or subject to a counter notice.

Eligibility criteria

  • You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN.
  • A holder of a personal licence is entitled to submit 50 TENs per calendar year (of which up to 10 may be late notices).
  • A non-personal licence holder is entitled to submit five TENs per calendar year (of which two may be late notices).
  • TENs can only be given for events where the capacity will not exceed 499 people at any one time. The event can last no more than 168 hours (seven days) with a minimum of 24 hours between your event and the start or finish of another Temporary Event Notice.
  • Premises are limited to a maximum of 15 TENs per calendar year with an aggregate total of no more than 21 days per year.
  • Events which extend after midnight will count as two days.

The notice must be in a specific format and must contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters.

Temporary Event Notices (TENs) increased for 2022 and 2023 

The Alcohol Licensing (Coronavirus) (Regulatory Easements) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 have now been approved by Parliament and are in force.

The Regulations have amended the limits prescribed by the Licensing Act to increase the allowance for temporary event notices from 15 to 20 and increase the maximum number of days on which temporary events may be held from 21 to 26. This increase only applies in the years 2022 and 2023.

Regulation summary

See the regulations for temporary event notices for further information.

Application evaluation process

The TEN must be given in the prescribed format to the local authority at least ten working days before the event (see note above regarding late notices).

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day following the day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Objection notices

A police officer or council officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine any of the four licensing objectives (prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm) can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user.

This objection notice must be served within three working days of receipt of the TEN.

We must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. We may issue a counter notice if we consider it necessary for the promotion of one or more of the licensing objectives, or in the case of licensed premises, apply one or more conditions which are stated on the premises licence as we consider appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

Where an objection notice is received to a late TEN we will issue a counter notice which means that the event is NOT authorised.

A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.
We may also issue counter notices if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Yes - if your application is made online and is unopposed. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

Apply online

Apply for temporary event notice

Apply by post

Temporary events notice application form (pdf 255KB)

Due to coronavirus restrictions, we encourage all applicants to use the online form wherever possible. If you do need to use the paper form, please scan it in and return it via email along with any supporting documents.

Please contact the Licensing Team on 020 87531081 or licensing@lbhf.gov.uk if you need assistance.

As well as sending this notice to us, copies must be given at the same time to the Police Licensing Officer, Shepherds Bush Police Station, 252 - 258 Uxbridge Road, London, W12 7JA and LBHF Noise and Nuisance Team, Environmental Health Services, Council Offices, 37 Pembroke Road, London W8 6PW.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in an area governed by two or more local authorities, notifications must be submitted to each police and environmental health authority.

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions about temporary event notices (pdf 49KB)

Failed application redress

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice you may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to Westminster Magistrates' Court, 181 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5BR within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days before the day of the planned event.

There is no right of appeal against a counter notice to a late temporary event notice.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If the Licensing Authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to Westminster Magistrates' Court, 181 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5BR within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade associations

  • National Outdoor Events Association (NOEA)
  • Society of Event Organisers (SEO)
  • Event Supplier and Services Association (ESSA)
  • Trade Show News Network (TSNN)

Licensing contact details

020 8753 1081 - lines open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Fax: 020 8753 3048


We aim to respond to emails within one working day.

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
Licensing Team
5th floor Hammersmith Town Hall Extension
King Street
W6 9JU

Translate this website