Gaming permits

If your premises is licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 for the sale of alcohol on the premises (excluding premises where the sale of alcohol on the premises is to accompany food) then you may make available either one or two gaming machines (of Category C or D) as long as the licence holder for the sale of alcohol gives notice of the intention to make gaming machines available to the licensing authority, and pays the £50 fee.

This is in accordance with Section 282 of the Gambling Act 2005.

Licensees who wish to provide more than two Category C or D machines must obtain a Gaming Machine Permit. Applicants can use the same form to apply for a Gaming Machine Permit or to notify the licensing authority of their intention to make available one or two machines.

Notification or application for a gaming permit (206KB pdf)

Club gaming and club machine permits

Members' clubs and miners welfare institutes may apply to the licensing authority for a Club Gaming Permit to make available up to three gaming machines, each of which is Category B, C or D, and to provide equal chance gaming and facilities for games of chance. Alternatively, they may apply for a Club Machine Permit to make available up to three gaming machines of Category B, C or D.

Applicants should consult Sections 266 and 268 of the Gambling Act 2005 to check whether the club meets the definition of members' club or miners' welfare institutes before submitting an application.

Applications must be made on the correct form which can be used for either a Club Gaming Permit or a Club Machine Permit. If you require any assistance in completing the form please contact the Licensing Team on 020 8753 1081.

Application for a club gaming and or club machine permit (206KB pdf)

Guidance and fees

Gambling licence fees (pdf 37KB)

See the Gambling Commission website for further information on the maximum stakes and prizes for Gaming Machines.