Demolition notices

If you're planning demolition work, here's guidance about what you need to tell us and when.

To demolish a building in Hammersmith & Fulham, you might need to submit a demolition notice according to section 80 of the Building Act 1984.

Please provide 6 weeks' notice before demolition begins. We may issue a counter notice within 6 weeks of receipt of the notification to state conditions that need to be met.

You need a notice for any demolition except for:

  • when a demolition order is made under the Housing Act 1957
  • the demolition of an internal part of an occupied building
  • the demolition of a building with a volume of 50m3 or less
  • the demolition of a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage

Please complete and return the Section 80 Demolition Notice form (pdf) along with a site plan and a minimum of £170.  

Your demolition notice must specify the building it relates to and the demolition works intended.

You must provide a copy to the occupier of any buildings next to the building which is the subject of your demolition notice, British Gas and the local electricity company.

Demolition work must comply with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor.

Building regulations relating to site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture will need to be met once the preparation work starts on the site.

You can either email the form to or send to:

Environmental Quality
Hammersmith Town Hall
King Street
London W6 9JU

Fees to accompany the demolition notice form

We charge for the reasonable expenses of reviewing a Section 80 notice and preparing a notice under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984 and supervision of work on any site. Charges will be made by the person who has issued the Section 80 notice with a minimum charge of £170 payable with submission of this notice. Payment methods accepted include cheque or credit/debit card.

To pay by credit/debit card please call 020 8753 2568 or 0208 753 3378.

Please make cheques payable to the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham and send to:

Environmental Quality
Hammersmith Town Hall
King Street
London W6 9JU

We cannot accept cash payments.


Where demolition has started without telling us first, an offence will have been committed and this could result in a fine at the Magistrates Court. However, this does not prevent the authority serving its Demolition Notice and instigating proceedings for a fine.

Notice from the council

After we receive a Section 80 notice, we will issue a counter notice under Section 81 of the Building Control Act 1984 which will detail various conditions which are intended to ensure that the work is carried out safely.

Demolition should not start unless:

  • we have given a notice under Section 81, or
  • 6 weeks have elapsed since the Section 80 notice was made to us.

Other permissions

You may also need permission under the Town and Country Planning Act for your scheme. If the building is listed, or in a conservation area, special consent may be needed for any demolition work proposed, even where notice is not needed under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984.

For more information, contact the Planning Applications Team, Planning Division, Environment Services Department, Town Hall Extension, King Street, Hammersmith, W6 9JU or email your enquiry to

Notification is required under the Building Act, regardless of whether planning permission has been granted.

Translate this website