Planning guidance

We have to have some documents to support your planning application before we can process it.  Here's a checklist so you can make sure you've sent us the right documents.

Flood risk assessment

Two thirds of the borough is within a flood risk zone. If your application is for a property in a flood risk zone, you must send us a flood risk assessment.

Hammersmith & Fulham’s Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (pdf) / SFRA Maps (pdf)

Flood risk map on environment agency website.

Use the planning search to search for a property in Hammersmith & Fulham and check to see if it is in a flood risk zone.

Environment Agency's Advice on Flood Risk Assessments.

Sustainable drainage strategies

Major applications are recommended to follow the Sustainable Drainage Design and Evaluation Guide in developing sustainable drainage strategies.

We also recommend that the London Sustainable Drainage Proforma is completed and submitted alongside major scheme SuDS Strategies.

Design and access statement

A design and access statement is only required for:

  • major applications
  • listed building consent applications
  • World heritage sites and conservation areas where the application is for one or more dwellings, or where the floor space created by the building or buildings is 100 square metres or more.

Use the planning search to search for a property in Hammersmith & Fulham and check to see if a property is a listed building and, or in a conservation area.

You can see the new guidelines on the planning portal website.

Construction method statement

This statement sets out how works on a development will be carried out during construction, to minimise disruption and nuisance to neighbours.

The content of a construction method statement will vary from site to site depending on the nature of the development, and the circumstances of the site.

The details may include:

  • timing/schedule of works
  • details of hours of working
  • pollution control measures
  • parking areas for the vehicles of site operatives and visitors
  • areas for the loading and unloading of plant and materials
  • measures to control dust and dirt during construction
  • a scheme for recycling/disposing of waste resulting from demolition and construction works
  • access and haul routes for construction vehicles, deliveries, waste vehicles

Energy statement

An energy statement should be submitted with all major planning applications.

There’s further information in our Planning Guidance Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)

Contaminated land

To find out if land is contaminated, and what this means for your planning application, view our contaminated land page.

Party wall agreements

In order to avoid delays and, or possible legal action from neighbours, we strongly recommend that you follow the provisions of the Party Wall Act 1996, before starting any building work affecting the party walls.

You can find the party wall explanatory booklet on the Communities and Local Government website.