Hammersmith & Fulham has installed four new air quality monitoring stations across the borough.
The new stations will now help track air pollution levels in more areas across H&F's three town centres, including major traffic hotspots.
These new reference standard air quality monitoring stations are located at :
- Du Cane Road, W12 (near Hammersmith Hospital and Wood Lane)
- Frank Banfield Park, Chancellor’s Road, W6 (near Fulham Palace Road)
- Vanston Place, Fulham Broadway, SW6
- Philpot Square, Carnwath Road, SW6 (near Wandsworth Bridge Road).
We have two existing sites in Shepherds Bush Green and Hammersmith town centre. View the sites on a map.
Cllr Sharon Holder, H&F Cabinet Member for the Public Realm, said: “Every breath we take can have a significant impact on our health unless we clean our local air.
“That’s why we’re taking urgent action to reduce the borough’s carbon footprint whilst we are tackling a public health emergency.”
Our six air quality monitoring stations are just one part of our comprehensive air quality monitoring network. This also includes:
- 57 Breathe London air quality sensors
- our award-winning network of Vortex air quality sensors – the densest in Europe
- 56 nitrogen dioxide measuring diffusion tubes.
These help us track a mix of pollutants, such as the health-impacting gas nitrogen dioxide and small breathable particles.
Recent data has shown that air pollution levels across the borough exceed the health-based Air Quality Standards as recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).
See H&F’s annual air quality status reports on our air quality webpage.
What we’re doing
Air pollution affects everyone. The two main sources of air pollution in H&F come from the way we travel and the way we heat our homes and buildings.
That’s why we’re investing in:
- growing our cycling infrastructure, including protected cycle lanes and bike storage
- removing barriers to active travel through free cycle training and business incentives such as Parcels Not Pollution
- retrofitting our council buildings such as the Macbeth Centre, home of H&F’s adult learning service
- building new developments including H&F’s Civic Campus to ‘Passivhaus’ classic standards – the most energy efficient standards of homes in the UK.
- Text description of the air quality monitoring stations in H&F map
The map is of Hammersmith & Fulham, showing the sites of the council's six continuous automatic air quality monitoring stations in the borough, which provide real-time 24 hours a day air quality monitoring data.
The map marks their locations with a green star, namely in the following locations:
- Shepherds Bush Green W12, site number HF4
- Hammersmith town centre W6, site number HF5
- Fulham town centre, Vanston Place SW6, site number HF6
- Riverwalk, Frank Banfield Park in Chancellor’s Road W6, site number HF7
- Wormwood Scrubs, Du Cane Road W12, site number HF8
- Sands End, Philpot Square in Carnwath Road SW6, site number HF9
Want to read more news stories like this? Subscribe to our weekly e-news bulletin.