Air quality and monitoring in H&F
For information about air pollution and air quality in London see London.gov.uk.
See also the London Air Quality Network website.
For information about air pollution and air quality in H&F see Air Quality England - Hammersmith & Fulham.
For background information on air pollution in H&F and details of our review and assessment of air quality, visit our air quality monitoring web page.
airTEXT - pollution alert service
The airTEXT website gives you free pollution forecasts for all London boroughs via text messages, voicemail and email. There are also smartphone apps with daily information on temperature, UV and pollen levels.
airTEXT alerts are particularly valuable if you suffer from asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, heart disease or angina or if you care for someone who could be at risk from high levels of pollution.
Sign up to the the AirTEXT info service. Smart phone apps for the iPhone and Android hand sets are available for download
Fulham Town Centre Ultra-Low Emission Supplier Directory
As part of the DEFRA-funded Clean Air Villages programme, H&F and Cross River Partnership are excited to launch the online ultra-low emission supplier directory for Fulham. Fulham Town Centre Ultra-Low Emmission Supplier Directory.
The directory lists businesses operating in and around Fulham that deliver using vehicles that are ultra-low emission, from cargo bikes to electric vehicles.
It also supports the Mayor of London’s Ultra Low Emission Zone that came into effect in April 2019 and will be expanded to include H&F in October 2021.
Air Quality Commission
Hammersmith & Fulham has the eighth highest percentage of early deaths attributable to nitrogen dioxide and to particulate matter air pollution in London, according to a report by King’s College London. The report, commissioned by the Greater London Authority and Transport for London, estimates that this contributes to the early deaths of 203 residents per year.
In response to this, H&F Council has established a resident-led Air Quality Commission to look into the problem. The commission will engage with external experts and local residents in examining the causes and dangers of local air pollution and propose potential solutions to help reduce it.
Visit the Air Quality Commission's web page.
Pollution-aware walking routes
Walking is a great way to get around the borough, but it can be off-putting if the only routes you know are along main roads.
If you’d like to walk more, but would prefer routes that keep you away from the busiest, most polluted roads, you may be interested in the west London urban walking routes walkit.com website.
Smoke control area
Hammersmith and Fulham is a smoke control area which means that it is an offence to emit smoke from a chimney of a building, or from a furnace or any fixed boiler. It is also an offence to use an ‘unauthorised fuel’ unless it is an ‘exempt’ appliance, and even then, it must be a specified fuel for that exempt appliance. The current maximum level of fine is £1,000 for each offence.
More information on smoke control areas may be found here: UK Smoke Control Areas.
Smokeless fuels officially authorised by the government are listed on the Defra website here: Smokeless Fuels.
Some wood burning stoves and appliances are exempt from these restrictions; a list may be found on the Defra website here: Approved Appliances.
Bonfires and burning
There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws against the nuisance they cause. Burning materials can be very harmful to the environment and peoples’ health. That’s why we discourage residents and businesses from burning in our borough.
More information on bonfires and burning may be found here: Bonfires and burning.
Tackling air pollution in H&F
Read about work we've been doing to improve air quality and reduce pollution in the borough.
- H&F tackles air pollution with new powers to fine idling motorists
- Idling motorists targeted for Clean Air Day 2018
- Come and have your say on our Air Quality Action Plan
- Give us your views on plans to improve air quality in H&F
- Motorists switch off engines to fight air pollution
- H&F launches electric car club giving everyone access to greener transport
- Clean Air Champions’ successful action day to stop idling motorists in H&F
- Grass is greener for innovative Hammersmith cycle path scheme
- Hammersmith & Fulham leads the fight against deadly air pollution
- ‘Clean Air Champions’ wanted to help stop idling vehicles in Hammersmith & Fulham
- 2018 Air Quality Annual Status Report (pdf)
- 2017 Air Quality Annual Status Report (pdf)
- 2016 Air Quality Annual Status Report (pdf)
- 2015 Air Quality Updating and Screening Assessment (pdf)
- 2014 Air Quality Progress Report (pdf)
- 2013 Draft Air Quality Progress Report (pdf)
- 2012 Air Quality Updating and Screening Assessment (pdf)
- 2011 Air Quality Progress Report (pdf)
- 2010 Air Quality Progress Report (pdf)
To comment on these pages, or to find out more about air quality issues, please email us at email@example.com.