Cycle training and maintenance
Free online Cycle Skills course
Whether you're new to cycling or just want to brush up on your skills, TfL’s free online Cycle Skills course provides easy to follow tips and advice to get you going. There are four short modules to try. And if you complete all four modules, you’ll receive a unique 15% discount code so you can save on Halfords own-brand cycle lights, locks and helmets.
- Tips to get you and your cycle prepared for the road
- How to start cycling on the road safely and responsibly
- Tips to brush up on your cycling skills
- How to cycle in a group with children or adults
What are you waiting for? Register now
Fix your own bike
Hire some space to work on your ride!
Want to work on your own bike but don't have the space or the tools? If you live, work or study in H&F you can now hire some space to fix your own bike at the Bikeworks WEST training centre. The centre has 10 bike stands and tools, and if you book a space you can work on your bike for an hour for FREE. You need to book though.
This programme is being sponsored by Hammersmith & Fulham and The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and is free for residents of both boroughs.
You'll need proof of address and photo ID to register on you first visit and photo ID is required for each subsequent visit.
Book your place now at Bikeworks - Fix your own bike.
FREE group cycle training lessons in schools
We offer national-standards cycle training to our primary schools' year five and six pupils, and to pupils in secondary schools. Two instructors take groups of up to 12 pupils. The School Travel Plan (STP) MUST be up to date to qualify for this offer.
- children who take part, and pass the test at the end, will be awarded a Bikeability certificate and badge;
- in order that we can meet demand from as many of our schools as possible, please book as early in the school year as possible. If additional funding becomes available schools can apply for subsequent courses;
- the courses help towards achieving targets set out in STPs and are only available to schools with up-to-date STPs; if you want to check whether your STP is up to date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 8753 3344
For further information and to book cycle training at your school:
Scooter training: We don’t offer scooter training, because there is no evidence that scooting is any more hazardous than walking. Providing scooter training could give the wrong impression that scooting is a hazardous activity, possibly resulting in some parental decisions not to allow children to use scooters. This would be a highly undesirable outcome.
FREE 1-2-1 cycle training for adults
A range of new free cycle training sessions have been launched to help get people pedalling across H&F.
The sessions cater for all levels of rider, from those who’ve never cycled before, to those who ride regularly, but want more confidence for riding on the borough’s roads.
The sessions are all provided by qualified instructors, with some including one-to-one lessons and others have bicycles provided for those who don’t have their own.
“We want everyone to be able to cycle safely and with confidence on the roads and cycle paths of H&F,” said Cllr Wesley Harcourt, H&F Cabinet Member for Environment.
“We want to double the number of journeys in the borough being made by bicycle. So free training sessions like the ones we’re offering are vital in giving people confidence to get on a bike for the very first time, or the first time in a long time.
“Getting more of the borough cycling is a key part of our aim to tackle the climate and ecological emergency, while helping residents keep active and improving air quality.”
What sessions are on offer?
A range of hour-long, one-to-one sessions is being offered by Bikeworks, the council’s established cycle training provider.
The sessions cater for complete beginners through to regular cyclists looking to learn advanced skills.
All instructors are fully trained and follow the nationally recognised Bikeability syllabus. Sessions can also include supporting and planning riding a route to school, or work.
COVID-19 precautions will be in place throughout. Riders will need to have been free of symptoms for two weeks, and to supply their own masks and gloves. Social distancing will be required throughout the session.
Sessions take place at three locations:
- Westway Sports & Fitness Centre, Crowthorne Road, W10 6RP
- St Augustine’s Primary School, Disbrowe Road, Hammersmith, W6 8QE (Bicycles available to borrow at this location only - outside of school hours)
- Kensington Gardens, Queen's Gate South Docking Station (Santander bicycles available only)
Increasing cycling diversity
Some brand new sessions have also been set up with Walk and Cycle London CIC to make riding as inclusive as possible.
On offer are two adult sessions each day, from Tuesday to Friday, from 10.30am to 12.30pm, then 1pm till 3pm. Six places are available on each session.
Saturdays are reserved for family sessions to get children and parents riding together, to help enable more children to ride to school.
You can learn to ride for the first time (morning sessions), or enjoy sessions getting more confident riding around the borough (afternoon sessions). Weekday sessions take place at four locations across the borough, with six adult bikes available to borrow.
The locations are:
- Tuesday: Bishop’s Park, Fulham (Fulham Palace entrance), Bishops Avenue, SW6 6EA
- Wednesday (women only): Bridge Joyce Square, Australia Road, White City, W12 7PH
- Thursday: Old Oak Community Centre, Braybrook Street, W12 0AP
- Friday: Ravenscourt Park (Outside W6 Garden Centre), Ravenscourt Avenue, W6 0SL
On Saturday, four adult bikes are available. Children’s bikes need to be provided by attendees. These sessions take place at: Fulham Pools, Normand Park, Lillie Road, Fulham, W6 7ST.
To find out more, or book a session, email: Philippa.Robb@gmail.com
Promoting cycling in H&F
The council’s Cycling Team and Walk and Cycle London CIC have been working hard with partner organisations and third sector groups to improve cycling opportunities.
They’ve worked with residents at the Old Oak Community Centre who had previously felt isolated from the rest of the borough, but through cycling can now access a lot more places and no longer need to rely on public transport.
Working alongside the education and volunteering team at Fulham Palace we’ve helped encourage visitors to pedal to the attraction rather than using public transport.
The ‘Women On Wednesdays’ sessions (see above) give a unique opportunity for women to learn to ride or to build their skills in a female-only setting, with a team of women instructors.
There’s also been work done with Sulgrave Youth Club, in Goldhawk Road, Hammersmith, where 40 young club members have been trained up through Bikeability.
Adult cycle training testimonials
- I really enjoyed the session and have recommended it to lots of friends and colleagues.
- I couldn't quite believe the progress I made in just one session. Just wish it had been longer. But thank you regardless! It felt like a treat.
- I was unable to cycle at all. In the two hours I learned how to balance and basic technique.
- The whole thing was great, the trainer was perfect, there was a large emphasis on my safety, which is I exactly what I wanted.
- The trainer was very good - she was a nice person and was very accommodating.
- The instructor was amazing and really helped with my confidence on the bike. I will now use that to continue my cycling.
- A wonderful project, with a lovely, able and patient instructor who did not seem to mind that I never cycled before.
- Training was helpful and made me clear about how to cycle more assertively and confident of what I was expected and entitled to do on the road.
- Booking session was simple and easy. Instructor was good and helpful. The training session was very helpful but not enough as just managed to cycle few metres. Wish I could have more sessions that would boost my confidence.
- I only completed the first stage of cycle training and will be having further training soon. The trainer was very informed and knowledgeable and gave me lots of useful tips on looking after the bike and going back to basics on the bike.
- Cycle training was fantastic and really improved my skills and confidence, the instructor tailored the session to meet my needs and ability.