Cycle training and maintenance
FREE group cycle training lessons in schools
We offer national-standards cycle training to our primary schools' year five and six pupils, and to pupils in secondary schools. Two instructors take groups of up to 12 pupils.
- children who take part, and pass the test at the end, will be awarded a Bikeability certificate and badge.
- in order that we can meet demand from as many of our schools as possible, please book as early in the school year as possible. If additional funding becomes available schools can apply for subsequent courses.
- the courses help towards achieving targets set out in school travel plans and are only available to schools with up-to-date travel plans. If you want to check whether your school travel plan is up to date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREE 1-2-1 cycle training for adults
Free 1-2-1 cycle training is available for adults living, working or studying in Hammersmith & Fulham. The sessions deliver private tuition in safe, confident road cycling and are arranged at a date, time and place to suit you and are tailored to your level of experience. We take a £5 payment by PayPal on booking, which is refunded when you complete the training that you have booked. This is to deter people from booking then not attending.
- a two-hour one-to-one cycle training session for anyone who lives, works or studies in the borough
- bikes can be provided for complete beginners
- female and male instructors will train anywhere in Hammersmith & Fulham
- possibility of lesson for adult with child, eg to learn how to cycle safely to school with your child
Basic cycle skills
Learn to cycle with a free session tailored to you. You'll practice in a safe, off-road environment with a fully qualified instructor. In a session you'll learn the basics, build skills and gain confidence to navigate around your local area.
Urban cycle skills
Improve your cycling skills with a free session tailored to you. You'll start in a safe off-road environment to refresh your cycling technique and develop new skills before moving on to practice on quiet roads. Your instructor will support you throughout to help you cycle with more confidence.
Advanced cycle skills
Perfect your cycling techniques with a free one-to-one session from a fully qualified trainer. Improve your performance when dealing with complex junctions, heavy traffic or cycling at night and receive assurance that you are cycling efficiently and effectively.
Family cycle skills
Gain confidence and learn skills to cycle as a family with a free family cycling session. In the session a qualified instructor will teach you how to cycle with children, using quiet routes and parks. These sessions offer the opportunity to build on, or prepare for, Bikeability skills taught in schools.
Or phone 020 8980 7998 if you want more information
FREE bike maintenance courses
We run free cycle maintenance courses for people who live or work or study in Hammersmith & Fulham, because basic knowledge about how to maintain your bike is essential for keeping your bike roadworthy and staying safe on the road. We don’t want people giving up cycling just because they don’t know how to fix their first puncture!
Choice of venue: cycle maintenance courses are held at:
- the Macbeth adult education centre in Hammersmith - course details and booking information
- the Bikeworks base in Maxilla Walk (access via Landsdowne Close) W10 6NQ - further details and online booking can be found on the Bikeworks website. We take a £5 payment by PayPal on booking, which is refunded when you complete the training that you have booked. This is to deter people from booking then not attending.