Paying your rent

You can pay online using your credit or debit card.

Pay your rent online

Check your rent statement online

You can also set up a direct debit by calling 020 8753 6032 and selecting Option 3. It’s simple to set up and saves you time and hassle. Payments are secure and protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Other ways to pay

  • Call 020 8753 1930 to pay using your credit or debit card.
  • Cash or cheque at your local post office using your housing charges payment/swipe card.
  • Standing order.
  • Post to: Rent income team, 3rd Floor Hammersmith Town Hall Ext, Hammersmith, London W6 9JU.
  • Visit us at Hammersmith Town Hall Extension, 1st floor reception.

Please make cheques and postal orders payable to London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and write your name and pay reference number on the back of your cheque.

Having trouble keeping up with payments?

Falling behind on payments could put your tenancy at risk. If you think you are at risk of getting into arrears or you are already in arrears with your rent there are people you can talk to and help is available – don’t ignore the problem.

Contact us on 0800 093 3132 (landlines) or 0208 753 6032 (mobiles) as soon as possible before the problem builds up.

For further advice, please see Help paying or our Having difficulty paying? (pdf) guide

Need a refund?

If your account is in credit, you can get a refund by filling in the rent account refund form and returning it to us by email or post.

Sorry, we can't issue cheques for refunds anymore. The refund will be paid into your bank account by BACS transfer.

If you are applying for a refund on a deceased resident's rent account, please contact the rent accounts team who will guide you through the process. They can be contacted Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on 020 8753 3704.

Tell us about a change in your situation

You must tell us about a change in your situation as soon as possible. If you don’t, you could either lose benefit or you may be overpaid benefit, which you’ll have to pay back.

If you're claiming housing benefit, you need to tell the housing benefit team or the Department for Work and Pensions Universal Credit team if:

  • You start work or your income changes.
  • You stop receiving income support or other benefits.
  • You change to a different type of benefit.
  • Someone moves in or out of your household.
  • A member of your household starts work or turns 18.
  • There are any other financial changes.

Please visit the benefits page for more information including contact details.

If you or your partner are receiving Universal Credit Full Service (where you log onto your own Universal Credit account), you need to notify your Job Centre Work Coach and sign in to your Universal Credit online account to register any changes.

If you or your partner are receiving Universal Credit Live Service, you need to call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0345 6000 723.

Contact us

  • Call us on 0800 093 3132 (landlines) or 020 8753 6032 (mobiles). We’re open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • Email us on
  • Make an appointment to discuss your situation in person at the H&F Direct centre. Book an appointment online or call us on the numbers above.

Government rent reductions

The Government has announced that social housing rents will be reduced by one per cent each year for four years from April 2016. Find out more below.

  • What is happening with my rent this year?

    There is good news for council tenants as your rents will be reduced once again this year. And as well as your rent going down by 1% we are:

    • freezing your service charges
    • freezing garage and communal heating charges
    • freezing council tax
    • arranging a deep clean of all council estates – at no extra cost
    • building more new council homes for rent for the first time in many years.

    Times are hard, so we think it’s important we do everything we can to help you financially by keeping our charges to you as low as possible.

  • Where can I get more information?

    Details are available in the Financial Plan for Council Homes 2018/19 report which went to the Economic Regeneration, Housing and The Arts Policy & Advisory Committee on 16 January 2018.

    Further details can be found in the Financial Plan For Council Homes: The Housing Revenue Account Financial Strategy, 2018/19 Housing Revenue Account Budget and 2018/19 Rent Reduction report which went to Cabinet on 5 February 2018.

  • What is target rent? Why is my rent different to my neighbours?

    Target rent is the weekly rent that the Government expects all social housing tenants to be paying. In Hammersmith & Fulham, rents are lower on average than the majority of other central London authorities. The latest rent reduction means H&F rents remain on average below target and will take many years to reach target rent. Therefore, depending on when your tenancy started, your rent may be significantly different from the average rent for a property of the same size and may be different from your neighbours’.

  • What's happened to my tenant service charges?

    We have had to increase your tenant service charges by 3% (in line with Consumer Price Index) to cover the increasing costs of delivering these services. We have frozen your tenant service charges in recent years despite increases in the costs of providing these services.

  • What will happen to my housing benefit?

    If you currently receive housing benefit, your entitlement will be amended to reflect the reduction in rent.

  • What happens if I am on Universal Credit?

    If you or your partner are receiving Universal Credit Full Service for postcode areas starting W6, W12, W14, SW6 and NW10 (where you log on to your own Universal Credit account), you must notify your Job Centre Work Coach and also log on to your Universal Credit account to let the Department for Work and Pensions know your new charges from 2 April 2018.

    If you or your partner are receiving Universal Credit Live Service, for postcode area W11 & W3 only, you must let the Department for Work and Pensions know the new charges from 2 April 2018 by telephoning 0800 328 9344.

    It is important that the Department for Work and Pensions know the exact date the charges are changing – this is 2 April 2018.

    You can visit the local housing office in White City at New Zealand Way, W12 7DE or in Fulham at 363 North End Road SW6 1NW to use a phone to make this call to the DWP or for any assistance. Their opening hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively, please contact your Rental Income Support Officer on 020 8753 6032 (select ‘option 2’)

  • What is available if I am in financial difficulty?

    Please see the “Having difficulty paying?” leaflet Having difficulty paying? (pdf). Alternatively, you can contact your rental income support officer who will advise you on where to get help and advice. The general number is 020 8753 6032 (please select ‘Option 2’), or email us at: