There are 1.3 million properties at risk of flooding in England and Wales. One of them could be yours.

The better prepared you are, the better you'll cope with the effects of flooding. Do what you can now to prepare for a flood. Don't leave it until the flood has started. You may not have enough time.

Get help during a flood

In an emergency, Thames Water customers should call 0843 636 6972 or 0800 980 8800.

Are you concerned about your home being flooded? Or are you concerned about a family member, friend or neighbour's home being flooded?

Call the emergency duty team at H&F Council on 020 8748 8588.

For more information on how to stay safe during a flood, speak to a Floodline adviser:

Floodline Alert
Telephone: 0345 988 1188
24-hour service
Find out about call charges

Get temporary accommodation

If your home has been flooded, and is located in Hammersmith and Fulham, you may be able to get temporary accommodation from the council, or from a housing association, or paid for by your home insurance company.

If you are a housing association tenant please contact your housing association.

If you are a council tenant contact our customer contact centre on 0800 023 4499.

If you are not a council tenant and require immediate assistance due to flooding, please see emergency housing information and contact details.

What to do before, during and after a flood

The Environment Agency has produced helpful guidelines to help you prepare for and respond to flooding. What to do before, during and after a flood (GOV.UK)

If your home is flooded:

  • contact your landlord and insurance company
  • by sewage - you must evacuate that area, move upstairs or stay with friends and relatives, and notify Thames Water
  • and is uninhabitable - your landlord or insurance company should help you to find somewhere else to stay
  • we may be able to help you if you have nowhere else to stay and need emergency housing.

Sandbags are relatively ineffective compared to purpose-designed flood protection products. This because of the time it takes to fill and lay them and because they don't last as long. So we don't provide sandbags to protect properties from flooding and strongly encourage you to use purpose-made flood protection products such as flood boards, non-return valves for plumbing and air-brick covers. Protecting your property from flooding is a landlord or homeowner responsibility.

Types of flooding

If you are a Hammersmith & Fulham resident, there are four types of flooding you may be at risk from.

Surface water flooding

This usually happens because of thunderstorms. It causes water to run off roofs and surrounding areas which can flood through your door or collect in your basement. High levels of rain can also cause sewers to overflow. You are more likely to be affected if you live in a basement flat.

Contact us if your property is affected by surface water flooding. Call 020 8748 3020 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, or 020 8748 8588 at all other times.

Flooding from a sewer

High levels of rainfall can cause sewers to overflow. You are more likely to be affected if you live in a basement flat, with flooding coming from internal drains, manholes, toilets and baths.

Contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800 if your property is affected by sewer floods.

Flooding from the Thames

There are only a few properties likely to flood from the Thames since the Thames Barrier was built.

Contact us or The Environment Agency if your property is affected by flooding from the Thames.

You can call The Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60, or call us on 020 8748 3020 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, or 020 8748 8588 at all other times.

Flooding from burst water mains

This can happen anywhere at any time with no prior warning. This makes it difficult to prepare for.

Contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800 if your property is affected by burst water mains.

Questions about floodings

For any further information or questions about flooding that are not emergencies email us at highwaydrainage@lbhf.gov.uk - This email address is only monitored between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

What is the likelihood of flooding from rivers and the sea in your area?

Use the flood map from the Environment Agency to find out.

Flood warnings

Flood warnings let you know when a flood is about to happen. They are not meant to cause a panic, and will, wherever possible, be given in enough time before a flood to help you prepare for it. Listen out on TV and radio or phone the floodline on 0345 988 1188.

Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA)

The Strategic flood risk assessment main - report (pdf 2.57MB) and associated figures Strategic flood risk assessment - appendix B (pdf 15.2MB) outline details of present and future flood risk to the borough from all sources and assesses the impact that development will have on flood risk.

Local Flood Risk Management Strategy

The Local Flood Risk Management Strategy (LFRMS) (pdf 6.7MB) is an over-arching strategy document that helps understand and manage flood risk in the borough. It seeks to increase awareness of the flood risk in the borough, and to encourage better co-operation and communication between organisations involved in flood risk management and the public. 

Our surface water management plan

The surface water management plan outlines the preferred surface-water management strategy for H&F. It covers flooding from sewers, drains, groundwater and runoff from land, small watercourses and ditches that occur as a result of heavy rainfall. 

Other sources of advice


Life-threatening emergencies:

Emergency out of hours information

Living with rainwater

Find out how to create resilience to extreme weather in our guide: Living with rainwater.