Temporary accommodation

At risk of losing your home or already homeless?

If we can’t prevent you from becoming homeless, we may have to give you temporary housing while we continue to look into other housing options with you, which will include renting in the private sector.

Most people will not be offered temporary accommodation, as they don’t meet the homelessness criteria. Some common questions about temporary accommodation are answered below.

  • Meet the team

     The temporary accommodation team makes sure that our households in temporary accommodation are supported during their stay and move on to longer-term accommodation in line with their agreed housing plan.

    The staff can be contacted Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm on 020 8753 4008.

    In the team are:

    • Property and place manager
    • Temporary accommodation procurement manager
    • Senior temporary accommodation officers
    • Temporary accommodation officers
    • Allocation officers
    • Hostel caretakers. 

    View the temporary accommodation policy (pdf) 

  • Will I be placed in temporary accommodation?

    People are placed in temporary accommodation based on criteria set out by central government as an interim measure while we try to find you a different place to live, which will probably be in the private sector.

    You need to show proof that you are eligible, homeless and in priority need as well as engage in a Personal Housing Plan which shows that you are actively trying to find somewhere else to live.

  • Will I be placed in temporary accommodation in my area of choice?

    We would like to accommodate all households within H&F, but it is difficult to find suitable and affordable accommodation because of the costs and lack of supply in the area.

    This means our accommodation can be located outside of the borough and across London.

    We will carry out a thorough housing needs assessment before offering you temporary accommodation, to ensure it is suitable. We will consider your personal circumstances when allocating you accommodation.

  • What kind of accommodation will I be offered?

    The Council will provide temporary accommodation based on your assessed housing need and availability, you may be offered accommodation in one of the following:

    • bed and breakfast (B&B) - this often has shared kitchen and bathroom facilities
    • hostels - a room in the hostel, some hotels have shared bathroom facilities
    • leased accommodation - self-contained accommodation (owned by private landlords, but let to the council on a temporary basis) located throughout London.
  • Do I have to pay for temporary accommodation?

    You are responsible for the weekly rent for whatever type of temporary accommodation we provide for you. The cost will depend on the type and size of accommodation provided.

    The property procurement team will help applicants with securing the accommodation of their choice. The team will make all the necessary checks to ensure that the property is suitable and affordable to the applicant and that it meets the required health and safety standards.

    You can apply for Housing Benefit to help you with this cost. Temporary Accommodation is now exempt from Universal Credit as of 11 April 2018. This means that if you are already receiving Universal Credit, you will continue to receive Universal Credit but you will need to claim Housing Benefit to pay for your rent if you move into temporary accommodation.

    If you are working or you are only entitled to have part of your rent paid by housing benefit, you’ll have to pay some or all of the rent yourself.

    We’ll help you and give you advice to make sure you pay your rent on time. If you don’t pay your rent it could affect your housing application, it could affect the help provided by us and put your tenancy at risk.

    Please contact the Temporary Accommodation Income team duty line 020 8753 1140 to ask questions about paying your rent. You can also email the team at hf.link@lbhf.gov.uk

    Make a new claim for housing benefit

    Contact us about housing benefit

  • How do I pay my rent?

    You can pay online using your credit or debit card.

    Pay your rent online

    Other ways to pay:

    • Call 020 8753 1930 to pay using your credit or debit card
    • Cash or cheque at your local post office using your housing charges payment/swipe card
    • by Standing order

    Please make cheques and postal orders payable to London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and write your name and pay reference number on the back of your cheque.

  • I’m struggling to pay my rent. What can I do?

    Falling behind on payments could put your tenancy at risk. If you think you are at risk of getting into arrears or you are already in arrears with your rent there are people you can talk to and help is available - don’t ignore the problem.

    Temporary accommodation income team

    Contact the temporary accommodation income team on 020 8753 1140 or email them at hf.link@lbhf.gov.uk

    The team are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

    Floating support

    The floating support service offers short term support for people having difficulties managing their home.

    See housing floating support services for more information.

    Housing benefit

    If you are receiving housing benefit, please contact the housing benefit department directly to query your benefit entitlement or to inform them of any changes in your circumstances. Please visit the benefits page for more information including contact details.

    Universal Credit support 

    Contact the H&F Link and Support team on 020 8753 1587 for advice and support for Universal Credit. You can also email the team at hf.link@lbhf.gov.uk

    The team are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

    We have also created an H&F Advice Hub made up of debt and welfare specialists, job brokers, universal credit advisers, and Job Centre Plus staff who deliver services at the hub on specific days.

    Further advice

    Please see Help paying or our Having difficulty paying? (pdf) guide.

  • How do I request a repair?

    Call the Temporary Accommodation Repairs Team on 020 8753 4008, Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

    Call your managing agent who is responsible for repairs and maintenance of your temporary accommodation by calling the number given on your Temporary Accommodation Licence Agreement.

    If you live in council owned accommodation, call the customer service centre on 0800 023 4499 free from landlines and mobiles.

    If it is an out of hours emergency repair, please call 020 8748 8588.

    This service is available from 5pm to 9am Monday to Friday, anytime at weekends and on public holidays.

    You will need to provide:

    • your name, address and contact number to get in touch with you during the day
    • what repair is needed
    • when you will be at home to give access to the housing officer or to the approved contractor to investigate or to carry out your repair.