Introductory trading offers
New traders interested in joining North End Road’s market can take advantage of the introductory market trading offer.
The offer includes:
- One-week FREE Pitch Rental.
- FREE street trading Licence.
- FREE Parking Permit (zone F).
Subject to application approval.
Becoming a permanent trader
There are three steps to becoming a permanent market trader.
After your first week of trade continue to trade for one probationary month, up to six days per week for £30.
During this first month your licence fee and parking are free.
After the probationary month, traders can apply for a temporary licence, valid for six months at £30.79. Traders will be able to continue to trade up to six days for £30 per week with a free parking permit.
At the end of the six months traders can apply for a permanent 12-month licence at £57.79 and a year of reduced pitch fees at £1,560. This will be invoiced to the trader directly alongside offers of discounted parking permits.
This offer is subject to the following terms and conditions:
- only available for new traders on North End Road
- traders must commit to four days trading per week
- pitch allocation is subject to availability
- fees must be paid in advance
- no refunds if you fail to trade, regardless of the weather or any other issue
- no roll over- trading days must be used within the purchased period
- the council may relet any pitch not occupied by 9am.
These conditions can be discussed with H&F’s Markets Team.
All H&F traders must have a valid Street Trading Licence.
New traders’ probation period licence is valid for 1 month and is free.
A temporary licence is for six months and costs £30.79.
With a temporary trading licence new traders must call H&F and pay in advance for a vacant pitch. Any vacant pitch can be booked, and this can be done daily, weekly or a month in advance.
Traders with a permanent licence must trade at least four days a week, on a fixed pitch from April 1 to March 31. A permanent licence is for 12 months and costs £57.79.
Choosing your pitch
H&F have two pitch sizes available on North End Road:
- Standard Pitch - 4.3m to 6m x 2.05m (14ft to 19.6ft).
- Extended Pitch - 6m to 7.5m x 2.05m (19.6ft to 24.6ft).
Pitches in the redeveloped areas of the road have access to water and power points for traders to use. Electricity is accessed through the SureCharge App and adaptors can be loaned from H&F Council as needed.
Waste disposal is included within each pitch fee and all traders have access to locked bins.
Traders can also apply for a parking permit for vehicles used in connection with a market pitch. The permit can be used to park in one of the special traders’ bays or a shared use bay in the relevant zone.
To find out more about parking permits after the introductory offer ends, visit or business or market trader parking permits page.
Advice for new traders
If you’re thinking of become a new trader on North End Road, check out some helpful advice below.
Find a mentor
Speak to someone with retail experience who can give you advice on pricing, marketing and networking. Hammersmith & Fulham Business helpdesk is a good place to start.
Do your research
- Chat with the established traders on North End Road and other local markets.
- Decide whether the goods you intend to sell fill in a gap in the market.
- Talk to friends, family, and potential customers, find out if your goods will appeal and if they are the right price.
- Research social media and online promotion and if this is a good way to tell people about your products.
- Is your ideal customer at the market or can you draw them there through social media marketing?
Look at your costings
- Work out how much everything will cost you from the goods themselves to transporting them to the market and if you will make enough money when you sell them.
- Can you buy and/or make enough of your product to make it a worthwhile business?
- Will customers want to pay the price you want to charge?
- Don’t be afraid to take risks.
- Be prepared for a slow start and hard work – it can take some time before your business takes off.
- Make sure you are passionate about what you are doing.
- Be different.
- The best way to learn is by doing, don’t overthink your plan.
- Keep things simple and easy to understand.
Yearly accounts and tax
- If you are a self-employed market trader you are responsible for paying tax and National Insurance contributions - visit the GOV.UK business tax page on self-employment.
- If your turnover exceeds a certain amount in any 12-month period or less you must register for VAT - visit the GOV.UK business tax page on registering for VAT.
- If you are new to self-employment it may be worth getting some advice about how to keep records for your accounts.
- You can get advice from Hammersmith & Fulham business helpdesk.
- You may choose to ask an accountant for advice as they often save traders more than it costs to use them.
Dealing with the law
If you are a food trader, particularly if selling perishable goods, you should know what the Food Hygiene Legislation requires you to do, for example statutory temperature controls when selling and transporting food. For further information visit our food safety page.
Other consumer legislation such as the Sale of Goods Act and the Trade Descriptions Act must also be adhered to. Visit the Business Companion website for more information.
Digital support for traders
H&F Council are also offering a range of free business support and advice for business owners and market traders, including help getting your business online and digital skills training. Find out more on our business support and advice page.
The market and traders are also supported by North End Road’s growing social media presence that celebrates the hustle and bustle of the street and spotlights traders throughout the year.
Contact H&F’s Street Trading Team (office hours Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
020 8753 3916
Other useful contacts
We are here to help you. Please contact one of our teams:
H&F Business Desk
Call: 020 8753 5585
North End Road Action Group
Food and Safety Team