Street parties and events

Planning a street party? Please give us plenty of notice so we can help make your event a success.

Napier Avenue's Coronation Street Party

Napier Avenue's Coronation Street Party

Organising a street party or fete

To organise a street party or fete, all you need to do is fill in one simple form. Please do this a minimum of six weeks before the date of your planned event.

There are differences between a small street party or fete and larger public events.

Street parties and fetes are:

  • self-organised
  • for residents and neighbours only
  • promoted to local residents only
  • not normally required to have licences if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • not required to have a formal risk assessment.

With larger public events:

  • anyone can attend
  • there's usually external publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • insurance will be needed and sometimes licences
  • a risk assessment will usually needed
  • professional or skilled organisers are involved.

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment.

If you want to have a pay bar or to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). This allows you to carry out licensable activities for a maximum of 96 hours for a maximum of 499 people and costs £21.

If it’s a larger public event likely to attract more people, you may need to apply for a Premises Licence.

If you would like to hold a larger public event, please contact the Licensing Team:

  • submit a service request electronically via our website
  • phone 020 8753 1081
  • fax 020 8753 3922
  • email:

Apply to hold a street party or fete

If you would like to hold a street party or fete:

Step 1

Please read our Tips, FAQs and checklist 

Step 2

Apply to hold a street party

Or you can fill in a paper version of the application form:

Email the form, indemnity declaration and any supporting documentation to:

020 8753 1081

The number one tip for holding a party is to plan early. Think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with us at least six weeks in advance, longer if you think that you will need a Premises Licence.

Tips, FAQs and checklist

More tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive street party website and The Big Lunch website. Do check them out, they're great.

  • Can the council refuse your application?

    Yes, if there are planned roadworks or other activities that would disrupt either the event itself or the planned works programmed. However, we would seek to find alternative dates when the event could be held. We could also refuse if we had concerns about safety. Before the party can take place it will need to be agreed by us. You also have to fill in an indemnity which is part of the electronic application, or you can download an indemnity form and send it to us.

  • Can we close the road?

    Probably, if the street is not used by a large amount of through traffic, is not a bus route or a priority for emergency vehicles. If you do close the road we ask you put up signs advising drivers and make sure any barriers are supervised so they can be quickly moved if required. However, if your event is on one of the roads on the priority network map below, it may still be possible to hold the event but you will need to contact the Network Management team by email at or phone 020 8753 1081.

    Map showing bus and priority routes (pdf 912KB)

  • Do we need insurance cover?

    We believe that public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party is a good idea. You might find it helpful to go on the Streets Alive street party website or The Big Lunch website for further advice. Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

  • Do I need to do a risk assessment?

    Not formally, but it is important that all residents together consider and minimise any risks to people, equipment or the road. For example thinking about how you can minimise things going wrong and having a back up plan are vital to ensuring success, what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque?

  • We are serving alcoholic drinks – do we need an alcohol licence?

    No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need a Temporary Event Notice. You can apply online for this or contact the licensing team for more information:
    020 7341 5152

    This application costs £21.

  • We're playing music – do we need an entertainment licence?

    No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people and you're not making money, then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded. Make sure the music is not too loud, long or late to avoid causing nuisance to others.

  • Do we need a permit to serve food?

    No - as a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food unless you want to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm. Remember, you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.

  • We're having a tombola/raffle – do we need permission?

    Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day, and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total, then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration, but do speak to us first). Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you want to raise money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

  • Do we need to clean up afterwards?

    Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Translate this website