Keeping our borough clean
Clean and tidy streets are very important in making H&F a pleasant place to live in and work in, and to visit. Here’s what we do to help that:
- we spend £21m keeping the borough clean and our workers are out in all weather
- we collect rubbish and recycling from 57,000 households every week
- our street cleaners cover distances of more than 150 miles each week
- last year we collected around 59,000 tonnes of recycling and rubbish
- we take a tough stance against anyone dropping litter, creating graffiti or dumping rubbish.
Our cleaning programme
We’re responsible for keeping around 150 miles of carriageway and 310 miles of footways across the borough clean and tidy.
- main roads are scheduled for at least 16 hours’ continuous cleaning, 7 days a week.
- other roads are swept at least once a week on the same day as your refuse and recycling collection.
- 4am to 11.30am – all our borough’s main roads are cleaned and litter bins emptied.
- 6.30am to 2pm - our neighbourhood sweepers clean all residential streets.
- 10am to 6pm – we clean all main shopping centres and busy streets continuously and two refuse teams clean up any dumped rubbish and empty litter bins.
- 7pm to 2am - our evening teams clean our three town centres.
Our contractor Quadron Services cleans our parks. Read more about Quadron Services here.
If you need a skip on any part of the highway (public road), you must apply to us for a skip permit. More about skips
Our contractors empty litterbins in main roads and shopping areas at least once a day, including Sunday. In our busier pedestrian areas, bins are emptied on average twice a day.
You can put most litter and general waste in litter bins, including dog waste. There are also small recycling bins outside most stations for newspapers and magazines. But, there are some items which you can’t put in a litter bin:
- raw meat
- medical waste
- sharp objects
- electronic goods
- hazardous materials or chemicals
- household waste – recycling and rubbish are collected at least once a week from every household:
If you want to report a problem with street cleaning, you can:
For more information or to report fly-tipping, contact our Cleaner Greener hotline:
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
020 8753 1100