If you wish to place a skip on any part of the highway (public road) in Hammersmith & Fulham, you must apply to us for a permit.
To ensure compliance with permit conditions, we only accept applications from skip companies. Building contractors and residents cannot apply.
How much does it cost?
A skip permit fee is £72.60 for the first month and £63.10 for each extra month.
If you need to put the skip in a parking bay there is an additional charge of £40 for each 5 metre long parking bay suspension, per day. This increases to £60 per day for suspensions lasting 6 to 42 days and £80 per day for suspensions over 43 days.
|Number of chargeable days*||Fee per 5-metre parking bay space, per day|
|From 1 to 5 days||£40|
|From 6 to 42 days||£60|
|Over 43 days||£80|
*a chargeable day is any day on which parking controls would normally apply in the area which is being suspended.
NB. the 5-metre bay space length is approximate.
Where applicable, you should apply for your parking bay suspension first and this requires a minimum of five working days to process. If the suspension is agreed, you will then receive a unique reference number which you need to add to your skip licence application.
A parking bay suspension may not be required for the full month of the skip permit and may be booked as and when required. However, it is an offence to place a skip on the Public Highway in a parking bay which is not suspended for this purpose.
Fees are paid for at the same time as the application using a credit or debit card.
Permit fees are non-refundable unless we decide a site is unsuitable and no alternative location can be agreed on.
The link above will take you to My Account where you need to sign in (or create an account if you do not already have one) to then proceed to apply for a highways permit.
There will be a £69.50 admin fee for all licences processed manually.
The skip must be no longer than five metres and no wider than two metres. We will not give consent for roll-on roll-off containers. While the skip is on site a parking bay must be suspended.
The skip must be placed outside the agreed address specified on the permit and within an agreed parking bay where applicable.
A skip permit is valid for a month, starting from the date specified by the applicant. If you need to extend this permit validity period, then you can either add extra months during your initial application, or renew your skip permit before it expires. The majority of skip permits also require parking bay suspensions, so please allow a minimum of two working days to renew your bay suspensions in addition to your licence renewal.
Where there is no parking bay outside the address where you want to position your skip, then email email@example.com for advice. Address your email to the Licensing and Enforcement Officer.
You do not need consent to place a skip on private land. However, you must take due care if using the highway to load or unload. If a skip lorry has to cross a footway to gain access to private land, you must construct a temporary or permanent crossing in the footway.
Please allow five working days for us to process your application.
You can only apply for your skip permit online.
Renewals and enquiries
Call us on 020 8753 3447 or 020 8753 4807 between 10am and 4pm for renewals, enquires and payments. You can make payments over the phone using your debit or credit card.
Display your skip permit
You must display a laminated copy of any current skip permit on the licensed skip where it stands on the highway. If you don’t, we may issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (fine).
Conditions of use
The licensee [the skip company] is entirely responsible for the skip and must follow our terms and conditions.
Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in enforcement action, including fixed penalty notices and/or prosecution. If any of the requirements of this licence are not complied with, the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham may take such measures as necessary to mark, guard, light or remove the skip and clean and repair the highway and the licensee shall be liable for the costs incurred in such measures.
Enforcement officers will be patrolling the streets of the borough on a regular basis to make sure that all skips are legitimately sited; adhering to the Terms and Conditions set out in the permit and promptly removed following their permit expiry.
Terms and conditions
1. The skip shall not be left on the public highway unlicensed.
2. The skip must be deposited outside the agreed address specified on the licence and within an agreed parking bay where applicable.
3. A laminated copy of the licence (or subsequent renewal) shall be displayed prominently at the site whilst the skip is on the public highway.
4. The skip shall be clearly marked with the owners name, telephone number and address.
5. The skip shall have affixed below and right across the top edge of each end, a strip of striped material complying with the Builders’ Skips (Markings) Regulations 1984, having broad red and yellow reflective or fluorescent stripes which shall at all times be kept clear.
6. At night (i.e. between ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise) the skip shall be lit as follows:
7. Where no traffic cones are required a lamp shall be placed against or attached to each corner of the skip or the end corners of a row of skips where a licence has been granted for two or more skips to be deposited in a row and the distance between adjacent skips does not exceed two metres.
8. Where traffic cones are required but in addition a lamp shall be placed between each cone and the next.
9. Each lamp shall have an illuminated power of not less than one candela, shall be clearly visible to all traffic and shall remain lit during the hours of darkness.
10. The skip shall be kept securely covered at all times except when being filled, and always between the hours of 7pm and 7am, and during football match days and evenings.
11. The site and surrounding area of the skip shall be kept in a clean and tidy condition and properly dispose of any materials placed in or around the skip (whether by the person to whom the licence is granted or any other person).
12. The skip shall not be used in such a way that any of its contents fall onto the highway, or that there is an escape of dust from the contents of the skip.
13. The skip shall be removed or repositioned at the request of the Police the Council or statutory undertakers to access their apparatus.
14. There shall be no flammable, explosive, noxious or dangerous material, or material which is likely to putrefy or become a nuisance shall be put into the skip.
15. There shall no planks will be placed on the footway to facilitate filling the skip.
16. The skip shall not be deposited so that it impedes any surface water drainage or obstructs access to any inspection chamber or apparatus of any statutory undertaker or the Council.
17. Skips located in streets near to football stadiums must be covered on football match days and evenings. In certain roads very close to football stadiums, skips may have to be removed prior to football match fixtures and replaced after these fixtures.
18. Where special events are scheduled to occur on specified roads, skips may have to be either covered or removed to prevent interference with these events.
The street scene enforcement team can take action if:
- there is spillage from a skip
- the skip does not display a company name and contact details
- the skip does not have proper lights fixed to it
- there is associated general littering or obstruction to the pavement or highway.
Report a problem with a skip in your neighbourhood
Please phone the cleaner greener hotline on 020 8753 1100 or report it online.