Reduce and reuse
Less waste saves you money and helps the environment by reducing the amount of rubbish we send for incineration (to generate electricity).
The best thing we can do with waste is not to produce it in the first place!
As consumers we can use our purchasing power and choose products which are produced sustainably, use little or no packaging and are durable. Buying only what we really need also helps to reverse the trend of today’s throw-away society.
Find out how to claim a £45 voucher by coming to one of our Nappy Natters.
Garden waste and home composting
Up to 30 per cent of our household waste could be composted. Find out how to claim a subsidised compost bin.
A to Z of materials
Search the Recycle Recycle Western Riverside website A to Z for reuse and reduction tips by material.
Reuse means passing something you no longer want on to others, or giving an item a new lease of life as something completely different.
Either way, reusing your waste saves you money and helps the environment, by reducing the amount of rubbish you send to landfill.
Share and donate
Find out about Streetbank, a local enterprise that brings neighbours together by sharing items, ideas and initiatives.
Here are some ideas of how you can reuse your items:
- TVs (not CRT), lamps and bric-à-brac – find out how to book a collection with Furnish.
- Garden waste and composting – find out how to get a discount on a compost bin.
- Real nappies – find out how to claim a £45 voucher by coming to one of our Nappy Natters.
- Swap events – swap your unwanted baby items, clothes, shoes, books, toys, bags, CDs and DVDs.
- Clothes, shoes and textile reuse and recycling – donate to charity or organise your own 'Swishing' party.
- Online exchange - find out what can be reused at the reuse and recycling centres.
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
020 8753 1100