Equipment and adaptations to the home

We aim to support you to live safely and as independently as possible. One of the ways we can do this is by providing equipment for daily living or an adaptation to your home. This might include:

  • stairlifts
  • wheelchair ramps and lifts
  • heating & lighting
  • home layout improvements
  • help choosing builders
  • paying for adaptations
  • support from the council

Council housing adaptations

If you have a disability and your council home causes you problems, it may be possible to reduce these by altering or adapting your home to help you live life as fully and independently as possible.

What type of work is carried out?

The adaptation can be very simple like an extra stair rail or more complex like a stair lift. We organise all the work to be carried out.

Due to the demand for adaptations to homes, it is necessary to have a prioritisation system. We prioritise applications so that we deal with the most urgent cases quickly.

If your home needs a lot of changes, a move to a more suitable accommodation may be more appropriate.

Who can get help?

You must be registered as disabled with us or meet the criteria for registration.

You will need to have had an assessment from an occupational therapist employed by us to see what work is needed.

A recommendation to specify the works required is then produced. If agreed works can be commissioned.

How do I apply for equipment or an adaptation to my home? 

A referral to the occupational therapy service can be made by you, a friend or relative, a voluntary organisation, the hospital or your doctor.

Please visit Assessments for equipment to find out more.

Disabled children's team

If you need an assessment for a disabled child, contact the disabled children's team:

2nd Floor, 145 Kings Street, 
W6 9XY

020 8753 3321

Related links

Disabled facilities grant

Energy efficiency

Translate this website