Advice and information for home owners, private tenants and landlords on housing rights and responsibilities, repairs and maintenance, financial help with housing costs, safety and security in the home, warmth and energy efficiency and more.
Advice from the government
GOV.UK - housing and local services has guidance for homeowners, tenants and landlords including problems paying your rent or mortgage, your rights and responsibilities and how to get legal advice.
Survey of private renting tenants anywhere in the borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
Survey of private renting tenants in Selective Licensing Streets
If you live in a street in H&F which is part of a Selective Licensing Scheme, please tell us about your experience of living at this property and what you think of the council's schemes to licence rented residential properties in the borough.
Survey of private renting tenants in Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
If you live in H&F in a house or flat which has an HMO licence, please tell us about your experience of living at this property and what you think of the council's schemes to licence rented residential properties in the borough.
Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector Regulations 2020
These regulations apply to all new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and all existing tenancies from 1 April 2021.
Landlords are required to:
- have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every five years, and
- provide a copy of the report to tenants, and to the council if requested to do so
If the report requires any further investigative or remedial works, the landlord must:
- make sure the work is carried out within 28 days, and
- supply written confirmation that the work has been carried out, together with a copy of the original report, to each existing tenant and to the council within 28 days of completion of the work. These should be sent to the council by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the landlord is not able to gain access to the property to carry out the inspection and test, we recommend landlords document all attempts to do so and all correspondence with tenants.
- Environmental Health and Regulatory Services Enforcement Policy (pdf 385KB)
- Private Sector Housing Enforcement Policy 2020 (pdf)
- Housing Act 2004 Financial Penalties (pdf 143KB)
- Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Regulations Financial Penalties (pdf 70KB)
- Energy Efficiency Regulations Financial Penalties (pdf 77KB)
- Electrical Safety Regulations Financial Penalties (pdf 80KB)
- Tenant Fees Act Financial Penalties (pdf 105KB)
- Effects of Financial Penalties and Appeals (pdf 63KB)