The health and wellbeing of residents is of the highest priority to Hammersmith & Fulham Council, and the public health team is dedicated to ensuring services are available to residents in the borough to enable them to improve and protect their health.
This section outlines services commissioned by the public health team or provided by the NHS and are available to residents, either through self or GP referral.
Public health information and services
- CLCH 0-19 Health - Information about pregnancy support and children’s health services for 0-19 years - Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust
- Healthier Families (previously Change4Life) - Here to help you and your family eat better and move more - Healthier Families - NHS
- Pregnancy Support - This guide includes all you need to know about trying for a baby, pregnancy, labour and birth - Pregnancy - NHS
- Physical Activity – Guidelines for physical activity for birth to 5 years old and 5 years old to 18 years old - Physical activity guidelines - NHS
- Health and Wellbeing – Information on Health and Wellbeing for your child - Health and wellbeing- CLCH
Improving your health
- Universal Smoking Cessation - Get free help and support to quit from Stop Smoking London - Stop Smoking Support - Stop Smoking London
- Targeted Smoking Cessation – Get free expert support to help you quit smoking if you are a resident in the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham - Stop Smoking Support - Turning Point
- Substance Misuse Support - The Drug and Alcohol Wellbeing Service is a place where you can get real and practical help to manage your problematic use of drugs and alcohol. We will work with you, whatever your situation and without judgement - DAWS - Turning Point
- Weight Management (Physical Activity) - Our aim is to encourage people of all abilities to become and remain more physically active, supporting participants to increase activity levels and improve their physical and mental wellbeing - Healthwise Physical Activity Referral Scheme
- Weight Management (Healthy Eating) – Download the free app for a 12 week programme to help you start healthier eating habits, be more active, and start losing weight. - Lose weight - Better Health - NHS
Protecting your health
- Immunisations – Information and guidance on the vaccines offered in the UK and when to have them. It also explains how they work and why they're safe and important. - Vaccinations - NHS
- Cancer Screening - Free cancer screening for certain types of cancer is available on the NHS for some people - Cancer - NHS
- Diabetes Champions - A team of volunteers is available to raise awareness about diabetes, how to get tested, where to go for information and what people can do to avoid or delay the onset of diabetes. The champions also man stalls at health fairs and other community events - Diabetes in North West London - Know Diabetes
- Diabetes Support and Information – Community support and expert information on diabetes, medication and related conditions - Health-Shared
- Dental Services – Information about dental services, how to find an NHS dentist and how much treatment costs - Dental Services - NHS
- Eye Health - Find an opticians and see if you are entitled to free NHS eye tests - Opticians and sight tests - NHS
- Sexual health - Information and advice about sexual health and local sexual health services - Sexual Health Service Directory
Mental health and wellbeing
Mental health support
- CALM - Campaign Against Living Miserably – Mental health support and various other conditions - The Calm Zone
- Every Mind Matters - Boosting our mood and helping to reduce symptoms of anxiety and stress - Every Mind Matters
- Shout Crisis Line – Free 24/7 Mental Health Text Support - Give us a Shout
- Time to Talk - Make space in your day for a conversation about mental health - Time to Talk Day
- Rethink Mental Illness - Improving the lives of people severely affected by mental illness through our network of local groups and services, expert information and successful campaigning - Rethink
- The Listening Place - Face-to-face support for those who feel life is no longer worth living - Home - The Listening Place
- My Practice, My Health – My Practice, My Health helps support residents with a SMI diagnosis to engage with annual, physical health checks who otherwise might not get them. For more information, how to refer and to download their toolkit visit My Practice, My Health - Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow Mind (hfehmind.org.uk)
Wellbeing West London - A directory of wellbeing support services across Hammersmith, Fulham, Ealing and Hounslow, operated by MIND. Wellbeing West London
- Living Independently – Supporting Independent Living and Health - Living Independently
- Employee Wellbeing Resources - The London Healthy Workplace Award scheme guides you in creating a work environment in which employees can flourish - Employee Wellbeing Resources
- Live Well - Advice about healthy living, including eating a balanced diet, healthy weight, exercise, quitting smoking and drinking less alcohol - Live Well
Sexual health services
- SASH - The service provides information, advice, referral to sexual health testing and one-to-one and group support for individuals affected by sexual health related issues. - SASH (Support and Advice on Sexual Health)
- Resilience - Resilience is a free wellbeing service for young people in Hammersmith and Fulham. We can support you with your sexual health, relationships, emotional wellbeing and your drug and alcohol use. - Resilience Wellbeing Service
- Sexual Health London - Our STI testing service is for people who have mild or no STI symptoms, and would like to get themselves checked. You can also request free regular and emergency contraception by completing a simple, secure online consultation. - Sexual Health London
- Living Independently Service Directory - Information and advice about sexual health and local sexual health services - Sexual Health Service Directory
Policy, strategy and consultation
Joint Strategic Needs Assessment - The JSNA is an assessment of the health, care and wellbeing needs of the community.
H&F Joint Health and Wellbeing Strategy - The Joint Health and Wellbeing Strategy (JHWS), must be based on evidence of local need found in the local Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA) and set priorities for action that will make a real impact on people’s lives.
Improving Our Public's Health Strategy 2015-2025 (pdf 1.7MB) - Improving Our Public’s Health is the council’s public health strategy which outlines the approach to improving health and wellbeing and reducing health inequalities in Hammersmith & Fulham.
Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment (PNA) - The PNA describes current pharmaceutical service provision and identifies the pharmaceutical needs of the local population.
Suicide Prevention Needs Assessment (pdf 787KB) - This document describes relevant national policies, examines local data stakeholder views, and reflects on what works internationally, and nationally in suicide prevention.
Public health reports
Our annual reports on the health of the local population with recommendations for improving health.