Documentary evidence required for a Blue Badge application

Proof of residency in the borough

Proof of residency can be an official letter or document no more than 3 months old (copies only):

  • GP or hospital letter
  • DWP or HMRC letter
  • Utility bill (gas, water, electric, telephone landline)
  • Current council tax bill

Mobile phone bills and bank statements are not accepted

Proof of identity

Proof of identity can be (copies only):

  • A current valid and in date passport
  • A birth certificate but ONLY if it features your current name. If you have changed your name, we will need to see a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, change of name deed or divorce certificate.
  • A current driving licence
  • A marriage certificate
  • Armed Forces ID
  • Certificate of British Nationality


One passport sized and passport style photograph that must be

  • In colour
  • recent and bear a good likeness to you
  • Facing forward and include the whole head
  • Taken against a plain background
  • Undamaged
  • Without anyone else visible in the picture
  • in digital format or printed professionally
  • in sharp focus and clear

Assessed eligibility

Children under 3 years

You will need to provide official evidence of your child’s condition from the hospital, a medical consultant or your child’s GP

Other physical or invisible (hidden) disabilities

You will need to provide evidence that your condition is likely to last for at least three years and has a substantial effect on your mobility, which causes you, during the course of a journey to:

  • be unable to walk
  • experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress
  • be at risk of serious harm when walking or pose, when walking, serious harm to any other person

Evidence should be provided from a professional who has expert knowledge of your condition. Examples of evidence can be:

  • A letter of diagnosis, as up to date as possible
  • Evidence of the progression of your condition over time
  • Confirmation of ongoing treatments, clinic attendances, or referral for such
  • Evidence of prescribed medication relevant to your condition
  • Evidence of specialist consultations or referral for such
  • Your Patient Summary or Summary Care Records (these should be provided by your GP free of charge)
  • Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP)
  • Care plans form social care teams
  • Social housing letters/assessment reports from the local authority
  • Letters from other professionals involved in your care
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision letters
  • Evidence of other benefits received

Examples of professionals can be:

  • Clinical Psychologist
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Gastroenterologist
  • Neurologist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Rheumatologist
  • Oncologist
  • Consultant

We will accept a letter from your GP but only in addition to evidence from a professional expert involved in your care.

Automatic eligibility

If you are registered severely sight impaired (blind).

You must be registered with the local authority or provide a copy of your Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) previously known as a BD8.

If you receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – High Rate Mobility Component.

You must provide a copy of the official award letter confirming the award and the duration of your entitlement. The letter must be dated within the last 12 months.

If you are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored eight points or more in the ‘Moving Around’ category within the Mobility Component.
If you are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored ten points in the ‘Planning and Following a Journey’ category within the Mobility Component as you ‘cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant’.

You must provide a copy of your award letter from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) which will confirm the award and the duration of your entitlement. The letter must be dated within the last 12 months even if your award is indefinite. We will require a copy of the whole letter.

If you receive a war pensioners’ mobility supplement or you have received a lump sum payment within tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and you have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability.

You must provide the original letter confirming the award or tarriffs.

If you drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe congenital disability in both arms, and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter.

You must provide evidence of your disability.