A brief history
The first town hall for the Metropolitan Borough of Hammersmith stood on the corner of Hammersmith Broadway and Shepherds Bush Road.
Built in 1896-7 it was found to be inadequate and temporary offices were erected on adjoining land. By 1930 a scheme to build a new town hall at Brook Green was proposed but this and various proposals to redevelop the original site were dropped in 1935.
The architect E Berry Webber (1896-1963), who specialised in municipal buildings, designed the current town hall for a site at the creek, lying between King Street and the river. The foundation stone was laid on 2 July 1938 and the building was completed the following year. It suffered some bomb damage in 1940 and 1944 but was repaired in time for the Victory Celebrations in 1945.
The town hall’s principal façade facing the river was compromised by the construction of the Great West Road. The north side facing King Street was designed with an open space and a wide flight of steps. These were lost when the large five-storey extension was built in 1971-75.
Hammersmith Town Hall, excluding the extension, is a Grade II listed building in recognition of its architectural and historic interest.
Hammersmith Town Hall
The town hall is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment and is closed to the public. It is due to reopen in 2023.