Council tax bands and rateable values

The Valuation Office Agency (not the council) sets a valuation band for every home and a rateable value for every business or non-domestic property. We use the banding or the rateable value to work out your bill. Your band or rateable value is shown on your bill.

Council tax

Every home is allocated one of eight bands, A to H. The banding is based on the value of your home at 1 April 1991.

Band A - property value up to £40,000.

Band B - property value over £40,000 and up to £52,000.

Band C - property value over £52,000 and up to £68,000.

Band D - property value over £68,000 and up to £88,000.

Band E - property value over £88,000 and up to £120,000.

Band F - property value over £120,000 and up to £160,000.

Band G - property value over £160,000 and up to £320,000.

Band H - property value over £320,000.

Council tax figures per band (current and previous year)

Checking your band

The band of your property will be shown on your paper council tax bill. 

You can view your band details online in My Account.

Log in or create a My Account

Or you can check the council tax band for a property by searching the council tax valuation list on GOV.UK.

Visit GOV.UK to check your band

Question about your council tax band?

Please contact:

Valuation Office Agency
8th Floor
10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
London E14 4PU

03000 501 501

Business rates

The rateable value of a non-domestic property broadly represents its annual open market rental value at 1 April 2008 as per the revaluation, which came into effect on 1 April 2010. 

Useful links:

Checking your rateable value

Check the rateable value of your property in the rating lists on GOV.UK.

Question about your rateable value?

Please contact:

Non-domestic Rates London
Valuation Office Agency
Chase House
305 Chase Road
London N14 6LZ

03000 501 501

Properties liable for both taxes

Properties in mixed use, known as composite properties, will have a rateable value to reflect their non-domestic part, and a band to reflect their domestic part. If you have a composite property you have to pay both taxes, on different parts, and so your property will appear on both the valuation and rating lists for the borough.

Want to know more?

Information on how to appeal:

For council tax see council tax banding appeals

For business rates see business rates appeals.

More information on how properties are valued for council tax or business rates is available on the valuation office agency website including information on how to appeal.

Further sources of information: