Council tax decision appeals

Querying your band rating, liability or discount decision.

Liability, exemption and discount decisions

You can appeal to us if:

  • you feel you are not liable to pay council tax because you are not the resident or owner
  • you are not liable because your property is exempt
  • you have not received the exemption or discount you feel you are entitled to.

To appeal for any of the reasons above you must first write to us so that we can reconsider the case.

Council tax team contact details

If you would like to know more about the appeal procedures including the use of valuation tribunals please call 020 8753 1667.

You must continue to pay your council tax bill while you have a banding query or proposal or appeal pending.

Finding out more about your council tax band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) maintains the Council Tax Valuation List. This includes placing new properties within a council tax band and changing bands for properties when necessary. To understand why your property is in a certain band, please go to GOV.UK and search ‘How domestic properties are assessed for council tax bands’.

You can ask the VOA (Valuation Office Agency) to review your council tax band if you think it is wrong and you have been the taxpayer for less than six months, or your band has changed in the last six months.

If this does not apply you can still ask the VOA to review your council tax band, but you’ll need to provide strong supporting evidence showing why you believe your property is in the wrong band. You can find more information about challenging your council tax band on VOA’s website. Challenge your council tax band: Overview - GOV.UK

The online service allows you to check your band and submit a challenge if you think your band may be wrong.

The VOA’s contact address is:

Valuation Office Agency
Durham Customer Service Centre
Wycliffe House
Green Lane
Durham DH1 3UW

Valuation tribunals

For a full list of circumstances when a valid appeal against your council tax banding is permitted contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA)

Contact details for the VOA are on GOV.UK.

The Valuation Tribunal Service publishes guidance covering all aspects of classes of appeal on their website.

Translate this website