Food export health certificates and importing food

If your business exports food or drink out of the UK, particularly those of animal origin, then you may require a food export health certificate from your local authority. These certificates confirm that a specific business complies with all relevant legislation and the food produced is without risk to health.

Information required

Typical information required for the export certificate is as follows:

  • manufacturer
  • minimum durability
  • storage conditions
  • export approval number
  • consignor
  • consignee
  • destination
  • product
  • quantity
  • country of origin
  • date of production
  • packaging
  • batch number (where appropriate).

You should note that it is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the destination country's requirements are met.

How to apply

Once you have established the destination country’s requirements you should provide us with this information. We will then contact you to arrange payment, and then we will prepare a certificate within five working days of payment.


Certificates cost £197.80 for new requests and if visits to your business are required, or £55.80 if this is a repeat request.

Ways to pay

By debit or credit card - we will contact you by phone to enable you to make a card payment.

By post - cheques should be made payable to Hammersmith & Fulham Council.

Further information

You should note that we will not supply a certificate unless you have registered your food business and we can assure the safety of any individual batch or consignment of food.

We may need to inspect your business to verify that the food is produced in compliance with UK legislation and may make additional checks, depending on the required wording of the certificate.

Imported foods

Foods imported into the UK may contain diseases which may harm animal health and public health. There are regulations in place to control importing, and the sale of imported food. If illegally imported foods are found at your business, officers may seize and destroy these. You may also be charged costs for disposal of the food and you could also face prosecution.

As a food business:

  • you must know where your food comes from; during any inspection you must be able to identify the name and address of the supplier of any item
  • you should keep contact names and addresses for all your suppliers
  • you must ensure food traceability documents are available, such as invoices and receipts
  • you must always use reputable suppliers and do not use suppliers who are unable to provide their contact details as well as an invoice or receipt

For further information on imported foods visit the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website.

Contact details

Hammersmith & Fulham Council
The Environment Department
Food and Safety Team
Hammersmith Town Hall
W6 9JU

020 8753 1081

Translate this website