Hammersmith & Fulham Council has received the gold award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (DERS) – the highest accolade in the Ministry of Defence's employer recognition scheme.
The gold award marks our commitment to military staff and their families.
- We proactively demonstrate our forces-friendly credentials as part of our recruitment and selection processes.
- We have positive policies towards defence issues, including up to 13 days extra paid leave to reservists for training.
- Our mobilisation policy means if a member of staff is being deployed they'll get an extra five days before deployment and five days after.
- Spouses of those being deployed will also get an extra five days leave.
- We participate in armed forces days and offer support to local cadet units.
In June 2019, H&F signed the Armed Forces Covenant recognising the remarkable contribution of regulars, reservists, veterans and the loved ones who support them. We pledged to offer work to veterans and promised to increase assistance given to the families and partners of those serving in the military.
Cllr David Morton, H&F representative for the Armed Forces Community, said: “We’re delighted to achieve ERS Gold status. This is a testament to the hard work of our staff, which also includes reservists and ex-services personnel.
“H&F has one of the highest numbers of ex-forces personnel in any London borough and we’re committed to doing everything we can to help and support them. We’ll continue to build on our commitments.”
Want to read more news stories like this? Subscribe to our weekly e-news bulletin.