North End Road improvement works – weekly progress reports
Published on this page are all weekly reports on the progress of the North End Road improvement works.
Read our latest weekly progress report
Weekly reports by date
- 11 November 2022
- 4 November 2022
- 21 October 2022
- 14 October 2022
- 7 October 2022
- 23 September 2022
- 16 September 2022
- 2 September 2022
- 26 August 2022
- 19 August 2022
- 17 August 2022
- 29 July 2022
- 25 July 2022
- 10 June 2022
- 27 May 2022
- 20 May 2022
- 6 May 2022
- 29 April 2022
- 22 April 2022
- 12 April 2022
- 25 March 2022
- 16 March 2022
- 11 March 2022
- 7 March 2022
- 28 February 2022
- 21 February 2022
- 7 February 2022
- 31 January 2022
- 24 January 2022
- 6 December 2021
- 22 November 2021
- 15 November 2021
- 8 November 2021
- 1 November 2021
- 25 October 2021
- 18 October 2021
- 8 October 2021
- 1 October 2021
- 24 September 2021
Friday 11 November 2022
This week (week ending 11 November)
- Extended the new kerb line into the carriage way on the North End Road side of Foubert’s Fulham.
- Continued excavating the new footway around Foubert’s.
- Excavated the trench needed for the water connection standpipe which will be used by market traders. This trench will be backfilled once Thames Water have completed the connection.
- Continued to keep Foubert’s proprietor up to date with the works.
Next week (week beginning 14 November)
- Infill around the granite blocks of the existing traffic calming table at the Walham Grove and Vanston Place junction.
Friday 4 November 2022
This week (week ending 4 November)
- Completed the excavation of the remaining old kerb line in Vanston Place, adjacent to the St John’s Church courtyard, and installed a new kerb line.
- Dropped the kerb line by St John’s Church courtyard gate.
- Continued new kerb line installation along Vanston Place and at the junction of Vanston Place with Walham Grove.
Friday 21 October 2022
This week (week ending 21 October)
- Continued work on the footway build-out area outside Café Ole.
- Completed the repaving of the footway outside Café Ole.
Next week (week beginning 24 October)
- Begin excavating the kerb lines and footways in front of Foubert’s Fulham and along Vanston Place and North End Road.
- Relocate the post box in Phase 8 to the opposite footway.
- Continue stakeholder engagement notifying residents and businesses and St. John’s Church about the progress of the works.
Friday 14 October 2022
This week (week ending 14 October)
- Completed the paving up to the threshold of the buildings in Phase 8 just before the junction between North End Road and Walham Grove.
- Completed the granite channel with an additional drainage gully just before the junction between North End Road and Walham Grove.
- Remarked the white lining of the zebra crossing in Phase 8 and installed new tactile paving the blind and visually impaired residents. This crossing is now open to the public.
- Completed the footway build-out on North End Road.
Next week (week beginning 17 October)
- Tree and new plants to be planted in the new tree pit.
- Tactile paving to be installed for the crossing point across Phase 8’s raised table.
- Footway bollards to be installed to protect the footway.
- The Royal Mail post-box outside Foubert’s Fulham is going to be relocated to a new location on the other side of the junction.
- Begin the next stage of Stakeholder liaison and engagement work.
Friday 7 October 2022
This week (week ending 7 October)
- Built out the footway at the junction between North End Road and Walham Grove.
- Installed tactile paving at the crossing.
- Completed work on the large planter.
Next week (week beginning 10 October)
- Will continue to lay the kerb line and will tarmac the carriageway edge.
- Begin to pave the section.
- Begin work in section B of Phase 7, including informing all stakeholders.
Friday 23 September 2022
This week (week ending 23 September)
- Completed planting trees in Phase 7.
- Completed granite sets between the tree pits for the new dwell space.
- New ducting and additional gullies were laid.
The site was prepared for the North End Road Autumn Festival. This included removing all pedestrian barriers, materials, soil, plants and the welfare unit.
Next week (week beginning 26 September)
- Phase 8 works, between Walham Grove and Vanston Place, will begin.
- Starting with footway buildouts.
Friday 16 September 2022
Last week (week ending 9 September)
- Completed paving around tree pits.
- Continued excavation works to install gullies and connect them to existing gullies at the junction between North End Road and Walham Grove
- Completed the footway paving between Eustace Road and the midpoint of Phase 7.
- Excavated and prepared the ground for the laying of new footway paving from the midpoint of Phase 7 to the junction between North End Road and Walham Grove.
This week (week beginning 12 September)
- Reinstated Eustace Road’s footway after completing excavation works to install electrical ducting and cables to power the North End Road market trader bay bollards.
- Altered the pedestrian management system from the midpoint of Phase 7 to the junction between North End Road and Walham Grove.
- Installed electrical bollards in Phase 7.
- Continue to lay sets between tree pits.
- Installed additional gullies with waterpipes.
- Continued to lay kerbing and paving.
Next week (week beginning 19 September)
Please note no works will be taking place on North End Road on Monday 19 September. Works will resume Tuesday 20 September.
- Continue to lay paving.
- Begin planting trees and greenery in the ready tree pits.
Phase 7’s works will be completed by Friday 23 September. The North End Road Autumn Festival will take place Saturday 24 September.
Phase 8, between Walham Grove and Vanston Place, will begin Monday 26 September.
Friday 2 September 2022
This week (ending 2 September)
- Continued cutting and finishing around Phase 7’s utility boxes and electrical point sites.
- Continued grouting along Phase 7.
- Started to lay kerbing around the tree pits.
- Letter sent to all retailers within Phase 7 explaining the works’ change of location and the impact this will have on the pavement and carriageway.
Next week (beginning 5 September)
- Begin to install kerbs at the junction between North End Road and Eustace Road.
- Begin to install gullies in Waltham Road and work to connect them to existing gullies in North End Road.
- Complete kerbing around the remaining tree pits in Phase 7.
- Excavate and prepare to lay new paving along the footway.
Friday 26 August 2022
This week (ending 26 August)
- Continued to work on trader and parking bays in Phase 7.
- Constructed sets around utility boxes and electrical points along Phase 7.
Next week (beginning 30 August)
- Completed the cutting, grouting and finishing of sets around utility boxes.
- Continue kerbing around Phase 7’s tree pits.
- Conduct a letter drop to retailers along phase 7 to inform them works are progressing to section B in early September.
Friday 19 August 2022
This week (ending 19 August)
- Both kerb lines were installed up to the radials on all junctions in Phase 7.
- Began to lay sand and concrete in preparation for set laying.
- Epirus Road’s works were completed, the traffic management systems were removed, and the tree pit was back filled with topsoil.
- Tourney Road’s works were completed, the traffic management systems were removed, and the tree pits were backfilled with topsoil.
- Shorrolds Road’s works were completed, and the traffic management systems will be removed shortly.
- Clem Attlee Parade’s works were completed.
Wednesday 17 August 2022
Week ending 12 August
- Laying kerbs on the carriageway side have been completed and laying granite kerbs on the footway side are underway.
- Two new gullies have been installed in the carriageway.
- Have installed green ducting for G Networks.
- Have started work digging out four tree pits.
- Work to install extra ducting is taking place in Eustace Road.
- Tourney Road’s works have been completed, including the installation of the “keep right” bollards.
- Epirus Road’s works have been completed, including the installation of the “keep right” bollards.
- Sharrolds Road’s build out work has been completed, the topsoil and the kerbs and quadrants have been installed on this road.
- Five new cycle stands have been installed on North End Road.
Week ending 5 August
- Block paving was removed along Phase 7.
- The footway was extended into the carriageway in Phase 7 and the asphalt was built out.
- A gully was dug and orange ducts were installed.
- Granite kerbs were installed in Phase 7.
Friday 29 July 2022
This week (ending 29 July)
- Begin excavation of trading and parking bays in Phase 7.
- Continue works along the Clem Attlee parade, including new paving and pedestrian management.
- Install tree pits in Phase 7, starting at the junction with Epirus Road and moving on to the junction with Tourney Road and Shorrolds Road. These works are in conjunction with 5G networks.
Next week (beginning 1 August)
- Began to lay kerbs and dig trenches for drainage and additional electrical points in Phase 7.
- Have planned to begin laying the subbase for sets in Phase 7.
- Last week’s work along the Clem Attlee parade to continue.
- Will continue construction of tree pits and the junctions with Tourney Road and Shorrolds Road. These works are in conjunction with 5G networks.
- Continue ongoing stakeholder engagement.
Monday 25 July 2022
Progress from week beginning 13 June 2022
- Traffic management set up and excavation of the trading bays in Phase 6, between Armadale Road and Eustace Road, started from Monday 13 June.
- Drainage and ducting works continued between from the week beginning Monday 13 June to the week ending Friday 24 June.
Progress from week beginning 27 June 2022
- Preparation to lay sets, including levelling, concreting and sand laid in trading bays.
Progress from week beginning 4 July 2022
- Cutting around tree pits and planters.
- Work to begin electrical hook ups were needed.
Progress from week beginning 11 July 2022
- Moved on to footway works, including changing the location of pedestrian management, lifting old paving slabs, levelling, and relaying new paving.
This week (commencing 25 July 2022)
- Excavation works starting on Phase 7, from Eustace Grove to Walham Grove.
- Minor cutting works around inspection hatch and planters in Phase 6 to be completed.
- Southern Water connections to be completed on standpipes within Phase 6.
- Information about upcoming words sent to retailers within Phase 7.
- Installation of tree pits starting at the junction of Epirus Road to the junction of Tourney Road and Shorrolds Road of is planned for this week. This is work in conjunction with 5G networks.
Friday 10 June 2022
- Continue to build the tree pit and lay sets at the junction between North End Road and Armadale Road.
- Continue to make progress with works at the junction between North End Road and Halford Road.
- Continue to manage pedestrian traffic during the footway construction phase.
- All retailers within Phase 6 are going to be contacted.
- Excavation of trader and parking bays in Phase 6 will begin.
- Draining and ducting works will begin
Friday 27 May 2022
- Cordoned off pedestrian walkway along the carriageway to lesson congestion on the reduced footway whilst improvement works continued.
- Completed the tree pit at the junction between North End Road and Armadale Road.
- Completed visits to retailers in Phase 1, 2, 3 and 4 to confirm whether premises had basements or cellars.
- Will continue slab laying on section 2 of Phase 5.
Friday 20 May 2022
- Retailers in Phases 5, 6 and 7 were visited to confirm whether Their premises had basements or cellars.
- Began to install kerbing around the tree pit at the junction between North End Road and Halford Road.
- Installed electrical points and draw pit shuttering and installed electrical ducting with an inspection.
- Will continue to visit retailers in Phase 1,2,3 and 4 to confirm whether premises had basement or cellar.
- Moving onto second section of Phase 5’s footway.
Friday 6 May 2022
- All retailers in Phase 5 were visited to update them on our progress and to ensure that we had up to date contact details for them.
- Began ground preparation for set laying in the trading and parking bays.
- Continued to install drainage and ducting in Phase 5.
- Continued to install metal strips.
- Letters to be sent out to all retailers in Phase 5 to remind them about upcoming changes.
- Will continue to lay sets in trading and parking bays.
Friday 29 April 2022
- Laid the straight kerb line from Halford Road to the Armadale Road junction.
- Completed the radius at the Halford Road and Armadale Road junctions.
- Prepared the ground for the granite sets to be laid in the parking and trader bays.
- Begin to install the ducting and drainage.
- Dug the tree put at the Halford Road junction.
- Will begin to prepare stakeholders in Phase 5 for the next stage of works that will require outside trading areas to be used for pedestrian access.
- Will continue to install drainage and ducting.
- Will be installing the metal strip.
- Will be completing the tree pits.
- Will begin to lay the sets in trading and parking bays.
Friday 22 April 2022
Week ending 14 April 2022
- The metal edging at the boundary of the frontage and back of footway was completed along Phase 4.
- The footway between Halford Road and Anselm Road was completed and final ASP paving was laid.
- Electrical hook ups were installed throughout Phase 4.
Week ending 22 April 2022
- The excavation and preparation work in the carriageway were started in Phase 5, between Halford Road and Armadale Road.
- Snagging was completed from Phase 1 to Phase 4.
- The kerb line will continue to be excavated.
- The existing blocks will be removed, and the area prepared for new granite setts.
- Phase 5’s retailers will be met with and have the next stage of works explained.
- Works are planned to include all the required ducting, tree pits, drainage, and edging.
Tuesday 12 April 2022
Week ending 1 April
- Retailers in Phase 4 were contacted to have the next stage of works explained and the impact of works on outside trading and seating areas.
- Stakeholders with trading areas at the front of their premises were also contacted to remind them about temporarily removing their goods to ensure safe pedestrian access.
- Framework has been installed for draw pits at the junction between North End Road and Halford Road to ensure it is ready for concreting and set laying.
- Kerbing has been carried out for tree pit installed at the junction between North End Road and Anselm Road.
- A cordoned area halfway between Anselm Road and Halford Road has been created for passing pedestrians, this includes a temporary ramp. This provides pedestrians with a larger area to walk along.
Week ending 8 April
- The ground was prepared for new paving to be laid on the footway from the junction between North End Road and Halford Road to a midway point.
- The footway from present location to the junction between North End Road and Anselm Road was incorporated into the pedestrian management scheme.
- The footway from midway point to the junction with Anselm Road was excavated.
- ASP paving was laid between Halford Road and Anselm Road.
- Metal edging was laid at the boundary of the frontage and the back of the footway was completed.
- Stakeholders with materials at the front of their stores have been accommodated and those materials temporarily removed to all the paving to continue.
- Completion of the footway is planned for early this week.
- Minor snagging works are to be completed over all the works that have been completed this year.
- Stakeholder engagement within Phase 4 will continue.
- Preparation for a move into Phase 5 after the Easter bank holiday will begin, including visits to stakeholders in Phase 5.
Friday 25 March 2022
- Phase 4’s set laying has continued along the entire length of section of works.
- Set laying and other works have continued at the junction between Halford Road and North End Road.
- Standpipe has been installed for future market trader use.
- Excavations for the future installation of a tree pit was completed.
- Works will begin on Phase 4’s footways
- Retailers in Phase 4 will be emailed with details explaining the next stage of works and how this will affect any outside trading or seating areas.
Wednesday 16 March 2022
- Retailers located in Phase 5, Halford Road to Armadale Road, were visited and up to date contract details were collected and the programme was explained to stakeholders.
- Straight kerbs and metal edging were laid between Anselm Road and Halford Road.
- On Saturday 12 March the concrete base was laid for the next round of set laying.
- Gully covers were installed with temporary asphalt.
- Set laying will continue along the length of Phase 4.
- Stakeholder engagement will continue in Phase 4, from Anselm Road to Halford Road. This will include site visits and letter drops once Phase 4’s works have progressed to footway.
Friday 11 March 2022
- Utility works in Phase 3 have now been completed between Racton Road and Anselm Road, and the remaining barriers.
- Kerb laying between Anselm Road and Halford Road has begun.
- Metal edging in Phase 4 has begun.
- Letters detailing the works included in Phase 4 has been delivered to the residents within this phase.
Next week (commencing 14 March 2022)
- Continue the kerb laying between Anselm Road and Halford Road that began this week.
- Continue the metal edging within Phase 4 that began this week.
- The concrete base is being laid from Saturday 12 March and sets will be laid from next week.
- Continuing stakeholder engagement in Phase 4 from Anselm Road to Halford Road, including site visits and letter drops once work has progresses to Phase 4’s footway.
Monday 7 March 2022
- Phase 3’s utility works continued.
- Static traders and residents in Phase 4 received a letter drop explaining working methods and providing contact details.
- Phase 4’s excavation works began, from Anselm Road to Halford Road.
- Barriers will remain in place in Phase 3, Racton Road to Anselm Road, until the completion of utility works.
- Ducting and drainage works will take place.
- Kerb laying begins in Phase 4, between Anselm Road and Halford Road.
- Will be excavating trader and parking bays and concreting them ready for future set laying.
- Stakeholder Engagement will continue in Phase 4. Residents and traders between Anselm Road and Halford Road will receive a further letter drop and site visits once Phase 4 progresses to footway work.
Monday 28 February 2022
- Continued liaising with retailers included in Phase 3 of the works.
- Regular updates either by phone, email or text were sent out about the development of works.
- Outside retail areas within Phase 3 have now been reinstated.
- Retailers included in Phase 4 were visited and all planned work procedures explained, especially to those with outside trading areas.
- All necessary contact details were confirmed as up to date for forthcoming correspondence.
- Phase 3 works between Racton Road to Anselm Road will be completed.
- Construction of Phase 4 Anselm Road to Halford Road has started.
- Stakeholder engagement will continue from Anselm Road to Halford Road. This is part of Phase 4 and will include a letter drop about works to retailers and residents throughout this section.
Monday 21 February 2022
- Business and residents between Racton Road and Anselm Road received a letter explaining the next phase of our works.
- Continued set laying between Racton Road and Anselm Road.
- Electrical point mounting installation.
- Parking bays and trader bays completed and pointing complete to tree pit at Anselm Road junction.
- Kerbing completed around the tree pit at the junction with Racton Road.
- Barriers have moved to incorporate the footway between Racton Road junction up to 379 North End Road. Old sets and paving have been lifted at this location.
- Requests made with businesses with outside trading areas to temporarily remove these areas to allow for pedestrian access around works.
- Continue laying paving on the footway, after preparation works which took place last week.
- Despite storm disruptions Phase 3 should be completed by Friday 25 February with additional clean up on Saturday 26, Sunday 27 and Monday 28 February if needed.
- Stakeholder engagement ongoing regarding access to retail units, to accommodate pedestrians during pavement works.
Monday 7 February 2022
- Set laying from the junction with Racton Road to 379 North End Road
- Steel edging in place ready for block laying from 379 – junction with Anselm Road.
- Drawpits in place with frame installed.
- Sets/paving in parking/trader bays completed between Racton Road and Anselm Road.
- Location of works moving to incorporate footway.
Monday 31 January 2022
- Kerb line laid to junction with Anselm Road.
- Concrete laid ahead of set laying.
- Draw pit installed for electrical connections.
- Set laying started in market traders’ bays.
- Continue set laying.
- Install kerb around tree pits.
Monday 24 January 2022
- Work resumed between Racton Road and Anselm Road.
- Existing market bays were excavated.
- Began laying the new kerb line and digging new tree pit.
- Road gully excavated and a new one repositioned next to carriageway.
- Trench for electrical ducts and cables excavated in Racton Road to supply traders with electricity.
- Further ducting to be laid for electrical points for market traders’ bays.
- Shuttering to be installed around tree pits.
- Set laying in traders’ bays.
- Begin installing steel edging.
Monday 6 December 2021
- Finished the paving at the junction with Racton Road.
- Installed the standpipes and Thames Water have connected to their water main to give market traders a water supply in new market trader space.
- Completed the new paving on the corner of Sedlescombe Road.
- Planted new trees and plants around trees.
- Installed new road markings.
- Jet washed the footway between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road.
December to January 2022
Works have stopped for the Christmas shopping period and will recommence between Racton Road and Anslem Road on Monday 10 January.
Monday 22 November 2021
- Continued laying new paving including around the bus stop.
- Installed electrical sockets for market traders’ bays.
- Finish the paving at the junction with Racton Road.
- Install the standpipes to allow Thames Water to connect to their water main to give market traders a water supply in new market trader space.
- Start laying new paving on the corner of Sedlescombe Road.
- Plant new trees and plants around trees.
- Install new road markings.
- Jet wash the footway between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road.
Monday 15 November 2021
- Continued laying of new paving for market traders’ bays between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road.
- Footway excavated and sand laid in preparation for new pavement slabs to be laid.
- Start laying new pavement.
Monday 8 November 2021
- Kerbs laid up to 365 North End Road.
- Started laying granite kerbs for tree pits.
- Started laying new paving for market traders’ bays.
- Continue laying of new paving for market traders’ bays between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road.
- Footway excavated and sand laid in preparation for new pavement slabs to be laid.
Monday 1 November 2021
- Continued taking up old market traders’ bays between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road.
- Drainage works and setting the kerb line out.
- Sand base laid in preparation for laying new surface.
- Continue with new ducting and drainage on excavated market bays.
- Start digging tree pits.
- Start laying granite kerbs for tree pits and planters.
- Commence laying new surface for market traders’ bays.
Monday 25 October 2021
- Works completed between Lillie Road and Sedlescombe Road.
- Works began between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road on taking up old market traders’ bays.
- Market traders between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road temporarily relocated onto the new and improved trading bays.
- Continuing with removal of old traders’ bays.
- Drainage works.
- Setting out kerb line.
Monday 18 October
- Footway excavations completed.
- Metal edging installed between traders’ bays and pavement.
- New footway being laid.
- Complete new footway work.
- Plant trees and plants.
- Install electric power bollards.
- Start of works between Sedlescombe Road and Racton Road.
Friday 8 October 2021
- Laid granite blocks for the market traders' bays from the junction with Lillie Road to Sedlescombe Road.
- Pointing of granite blocks.
- Soil for tree pits delivered.
- Asphalting the edge of the carriageway next to the front kerb line.
Begin excavation of footway for new paving. Businesses, residents and visitors will still have access to shops and homes.
Friday 1 October 2021
- Concrete base for the market trader bays was laid from the junction with Lillie Road to Sedlescombe Road.
- Began laying the granite blocks in the market traders bay.
- A base unit for the electric power supply for the market traders was installed.
- New gully and frame adjusted to the new kerb line.
- Continuing to lay the granite blocks.
- Pointing of granite blocks will commence.
- Asphalt the edge of the carriageway next to the front kerb line.
Friday 24 September 2021
- 90% of the kerb line has been installed between Sedlescombe Road and 325 North End Road.
- Draw pit sockets for the market traders’ electricity supply have been set.
- Most of the tree pits have been laid.
- Laying a concrete base between Sedlescombe Road and 325 North End Road.
- Laying new paving to bring market bays up to pavement level.