Permitted development rights

Questions answered on permitted development rights in the borough of Hammersmith & Fulham.

Some building works and changes of use are described as permitted development.

Most single dwelling houses benefit from permitted development rights. This means that certain alterations and extensions to a house can be carried out without needing planning permission. However, you do have to seek prior approval for some larger home extensions.

Properties which do not have permitted development rights

  • Flats, maisonettes or houses in multiple occupation
  • Properties on conservation areas. To check if your house is in a conservation area, please follow this link to our conservation area webpage.
  • Properties which have had the permitted development rights removed. Some properties may have had their rights removed through conditions on the original, or subsequent, planning permission. You can find out if the permitted development rights for your house have been removed - check previous planning applications for your property.
  • Listed buildings. If your house is a listed building, you will more than likely need listed building consent to carry out works, even if the works fall under permitted development. To find out if your house is listed, see the listed building statutory register.

Permitted development information on the Planning Portal

You can read about permitted development on the Planning Portal. Visit the Planning Portal website to find out if you will need planning permission.

Planning Portal - do you need permission 

Planning Portal - common projects 

Planning Portal - interactive house

Planning Portal - glossary of planning term

We can remove permitted development rights under Article 4 directions.

Also, please see our FAQs which give further information on common householder and business projects.  

Building control

The enquiry service refers only to permitted development in planning terms for the purposes of planning legislation. You may still need building regulation approval. 

For more information on building regulations, see building control.

Translate this website