Help for people with learning disabilities

There is a wide range of support available to people with learning disabilities and their families and carers.

We assess people's needs and, if they are eligible for help from us, we will develop individual support plans.

We support everyone to be as independent as possible whilst making sure they are safeguarded from harm.

Hammersmith & Fulham Learning Disability Team

Parkview Centre for Health and Wellbeing
Cranston Court
56 Bloemfontein Road
W12 7FG

020 8753 1900

Open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Who we can help

We can help people who:

  • have a learning disability
  • are 18 years or older, or moving from children’s to adult services
  • are from or live in Hammersmith & Fulham.

The level of support a person needs will vary, depending on their circumstances, but we may be able to help you with things like:

  • making choices
  • looking after your health
  • day-to-day living
  • looking after your money
  • get a freedom pass, direct payments, or benefit advice
  • find residential or nursing care
  • finding a job
  • meet other people and take part in activities
  • taking short breaks.

We can also give advice, support and information to your family, carer and partner.

What happens next?

We will consider your needs in line with the Care Act 2014.

This means someone will ask you some questions to see how we can best support you to live safely and well in your community.

The teams are made up of:

  • social workers
  • clinical psychologists
  • community nurses
  • physiotherapists
  • speech and language therapists
  • psychiatrists
  • occupational therapists
  • support workers.

We work closely with colleagues employed by the NHS, other organisations such as housing, and have links with local communities. All of these people will have different areas of expertise and will work together to ensure that you get the support which is best suited to your needs.

This may include a specialist behavioural assessment and a positive behaviour support plan. This helps support staff understand you and how they can help you to manage your behaviour.

We may also write a report to support your social worker to find the right place for you to live.

More information

About Learning Disabilities

British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD)

Foundation For People With Learning Disabilities

Hammersmith and Fulham Mencap

Learning Disability England


National Forum Of People With Learning Disabilities



Shaw Trust

United Response

Translate this website