Help with walking and mobility


Physiotherapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. They specialise in working with people who are experiencing difficulties with their walking.

After an assessment, a physiotherapist may offer one or more of the following:

  • a programme of exercises to help you to become stronger and to improve your walking
  • advice on how you might take a different approach to your walking so that you are safer
  • advice on equipment and aids which might be suitable for you.

Physiotherapists may also be able to assist people with severe and chronic pain by recommending exercises and equipment.

How to contact a physiotherapist

Depending on your situation you may be offered the chance to see a physiotherapist following a spell in hospital, or after seeing a medical or social care professional.

You can refer yourself or someone you know to the physiotherapy service provided by your local community independence service.

You can find private physiotherapists in your area on the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy website or on the Physio First website.

The NHS has information about physiotherapy, how to access it privately or through the NHS, and the techniques that a physiotherapist may use to treat you.

Mobility aids

Specialist equipment such as walking sticks and frames, wheelchairs and mobility scooters can help you get around safely.

And on our equipment and changes to your home page you can find a list of some of the private companies who sell mobility aids and other equipment.

See also


Preventing falls and avoiding accidents in the home

Translate this website