Children's library service
Each of the borough's libraries provides a separate collection of books and other materials suitable for babies, children and young people up to the age of 17 years. These include story and information books, picture books and board books and spoken word CDs. Fulham, Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush libraries also have separate children's areas.
How long can items on loan be kept?
Books and CDs may be borrowed for three weeks. DVD Boxed Sets may be borrowed for one week and other DVDs may be borrowed for three days. (Children's DVDs may be borrowed by anyone over the age of 12.)
Are there any charges?
Teenagers 12 – 15 years will pay the standard loan charge for DVDs and CDs. Reservation charges apply to all customers. Lost items will be charged for at their replacement cost.
Who can join the library?
Any child who lives or goes to school in the borough. All that is required is proof of address and a signature from a parent or carer.
From March 2018, all newborn babies that are registered in the borough will automatically be given their very own library card. Find out more about My first library card
What else is on offer?
We have plenty of activities to keep members of all ages busy- take a look at our events for children and young people page. You can also follow us online to keep track of what's going on when. Make sure you don't miss out!
- summer reading challenges
- 'story and rhyme times' for under 5s with stories, rhymes, music and simple craft
- holiday story and craft activities
- author visits and special events
- after school homework help sessions for children aged 8 to 11
- Chatterbooks reading groups for children aged 7 to 11
- teen reading groups for young people aged 12 to 16
- filtered internet access for children and a range of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) plus some image-editing software
- online resources for children