Get involved and make a bid

Neighbourhood improvement projects

Why don’t you make an application to our neighbourhood improvement projects?

The neighbourhood improvement projects is for works to community spaces on council housing land to improve the environment of the estate, block, or sheltered housing scheme for all residents. You can bid for a wide range of improvement works where the expenditure results in buying, building or improving fixed assets up to the value of £25,000 per bid.

The fund cannot be used for maintenance, replacement or repairs, for improvement to individual properties, or for wages or running costs.

Some examples of improvement works eligible for funding applications are:

  • fixed playground or gym equipment
  • improvement works to existing communal gardens, including shrubs, planting and garden furniture (not maintenance)
  • fences, railings and gates, but not to individual dwellings
  • secure bike hangars
  • waste and recycling enclosures
  • new notice boards and signs
  • paving to communal areas.

All council housing residents can apply either through their Tenants and Residents Association (TRA) or by a smaller group of residents acting on behalf of their block, street, or sheltered housing scheme.

Where there is no active representation, your housing officer can submit a bid. In all cases, evidence of consultation and support for the proposal needs to be provided.

More information and application form

If you'd like to know more or to make a bid, please see our guidance pack and application form.

Place environmental rejuvenation programme

The place environmental rejuvenation programme is funded by Hammersmith & Fulham Council and supports tenants’ and residents associations and other resident groups to transform public spaces on estates so they are greener, safer and benefit the local community. Residents can apply to improve the external communal areas of the estate, block, or sheltered housing unit. Improvements could include:

  • landscape improvements (gardens, seating areas, fencing, planting, art features)
  • designing out anti-social behaviour
  • play areas and ball courts
  • a food growing project
  • green roof or sustainable drainage project
  • biodiversity and wildlife features.

Each proposed bid can be for a maximum of £75,000.

More information and application form

If you'd like to know more or to make a bid, please see our guidance pack and application form.

What next?

Applications for neighbourhood improvement projects are reviewed by the resident-led Investment Group several times throughout the year.

The next annual round of funding opens on 10 March 2020 and bidding will be open for 6 weeks. All applications need to be received by 5pm on Friday 24 April 2020.

If you have ideas for green projects in your area, please let us know using the contact details at the bottom of this page.

Contact us

Resident Involvement Team
020 8753 6652

Resident Involvement homepage