Finding a home

Information and advice about finding somewhere to live.

Private rented properties

Finding a property

You can find properties to rent by checking websites such as:

Letting a property

You can also search local newspapers and look in newsagents' windows for accommodation.

Find a room in a flatshare

You can find a room in a flatshare by checking websites such as:

These websites allow you to search for a home using the following criteria:

  • area
  • type of property
  • amount of rent you can afford.

If you do not have access to the internet, you may wish to go to your local library and use the facilities available there.

Find somewhere you can afford

If you are on a low income or get state benefits, you will usually be entitled to some help with paying your rent through Universal Credit or housing benefit.

Any help with paying your rent is worked out by considering both the rate of Local Housing Allowance set for that area and who else may live with you.

Find out how much Local Housing Allowance you may be entitled to.

Visit the Shelter website for guidance on how to find landlords who accept benefits.

Deposits and rent in advance

Most private landlords ask for a deposit and at least one month's rent payment in advance.

You may be able to apply for a budgeting loan to pay for rent in advance if you're claiming Universal Credit.

Don't part with money for fees, deposit or rent in advance without getting a signed and dated receipt with the name, address and telephone number of the owner or agent that you are dealing with.

Landlords are required by law to protect your deposit in case there are any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

View the checklist for renting in England.

Sheltered housing in H&F

Sheltered housing is council-owned housing designated for people aged 60 years of age. The waiting time for this type of accommodation is much shorter than other types of council housing.

Homefinder UK

Homefinder UK is a national housing mobility scheme.

If you are an H&F tenant or in temporary accommodation, you can join for free and without obligation.

The scheme offers residents the chance to secure social housing throughout the UK, much faster than the average housing register time in any London borough.

Find out more about Homefinder UK in H&F.

Exchanging your home

If you are a registered social housing tenant, you can swap your home with another council or housing association tenant anywhere in the country, provided your landlord agrees.

This is known as a mutual exchange. Both partners in the exchange must get authorisation from their landlords for the exchange to go ahead.

Find out more about mutual exchanges.

Buying a home

For help with buying a home including a range of new online services, creating your new H&F Home Buy account, Right to Buy and shared ownership schemes, plus information for council leaseholders on buying the freehold of your property and help with affordable rents, read more in buying a home.

Apply for council housing

Find out about getting on the council housing register.

Translate this website