Finding a more suitable home

There are several ways you can move to a different property.

Want to move to a smaller home in the borough?

If you have one or more spare bedrooms, you may want to help to move to a smaller property through the council’s beneficial transfer scheme. We offer financial incentives and support with your move.

For more information, see Help moving to a smaller home.

Interested in exchanging your home?

Mutual exchange is a scheme for people who live in a council or housing association property who'd like to swap their home with another tenant. People often swap to get a larger or smaller home or to move to a different area.

For more information, see Exchanging your home.


If your home is overcrowded, the housing occupancy team may be able to help you.

The team can:

  • provide free space saving furniture at no charge
  • suggest alternative layouts that make the most of the space available in your home
  • help you access local services that may help to ease overcrowding on a day-to-day basis for example after school clubs, breakfast clubs, local leisure facilities.

Contact the supported moves team for a free and easy home assessment on 020 8753 4390.

You could also consider a mutual exchange. See Exchanging your home for more details.

You may be eligible to join the housing register. Only applicants with high levels of housing need will qualify and it is not possible to say when housing can be offered. See Applying for council housing for more information.

Over 60 and thinking about moving?

We have accommodation specially designed for older residents, with extra communal facilities not available in general council properties. Most schemes have a specialist housing officer and provide optional welfare checks, a Careline 24-hour emergency alarm system and a handyman service for minor repairs. For more information and to apply, see Sheltered housing.

Over 60 and thinking about moving out of London?

If you're a London social housing tenant over 60, you have the opportunity to move away from London through the Seaside and Country Homes scheme.

The scheme helps around 150 households each year to move from London to bungalows or flats in desirable seaside and countryside locations. People who move through the scheme become a tenant of the housing association that manages the property. They pay a social rent and their former tenancy rights are protected. Seaside and Country Homes tenants don't have the Right to Buy.

Please visit Seaside and country homes for more information, including who is eligible and how to apply.

Temporary decant until repairs are completed

We are committed to ensuring the safety of our residents and maintaining our housing stock.

In some cases, damage may occur to a property that cannot be repaired with the tenant still present. When this happens, we will require you to move out of your property temporarily while works are carried out. 

Occasionally, damage may make a property uninhabitable, for example, if there is a fire or a flood. 

If you need to move out for either reason, we will provide an alternative property, known as a decant property, until you are able to return home. 

For further information read our decant policy (pdf 214KB).

Contact us

For more information on these schemes, contact the supported moves team on 020 8753 4390 or email

Translate this website