Freedom passes

Older people and people with disabilities can travel for free on most public transport across London including the Tube, buses, trams and trains.

Older person's Freedom Pass

If you were born on or before 5 August 1953 and your sole or principal home is in a London borough, you can apply for an older person's Freedom Pass. 

If you were born on or after 6 August 1953 please check when you will become eligible on the London Councils website.

Eligibility and application

We do not issue Freedom Passes for older people at our customer service centre.

To find out if you are eligible or to apply online, please visit the Older person's Freedom Pass pages on the London Councils website or call the Freedom Pass help line on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, Monday to Sunday 8am to 8pm). 

You will need to provide proof of your name, age, residence in the borough and one colour, passport-sized photograph. There’s more information about the documents you need when you apply online.

Your new Freedom Pass will be posted to your home address. It may take up to 10 working days for you to receive your new pass, so do apply in time. 

If you can’t apply online, you can get a paper application form to fill in and return in the post. Please contact the accessible transport team.

Or you can write to: 

H&F Direct
Pay and Park (AT)
PO Box 60820
W6 9UZ

60+ London Oyster photocard

If you are a London resident, aged 60 or over, and not yet eligible for a Freedom Pass, you may be eligible for TfL’s 60+ London Oyster Photocard.

Please visit the TfL’s 60+ London Oyster Photocard pages on the London Councils website or call the 60+ London Oyster helpline on 0343 222 1234 (local call rate, Monday to Sunday 8am to 8pm). 

Disabled person's Freedom Pass

If you live in London and have an eligible disability, you can apply to us for a Disabled person's Freedom Pass.

You can apply to us if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – high rate mobility component
  • are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ category within the mobility component
  • are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored 8 points or more in the ‘communicating verbally’ category within the daily living component. Alternatively, if you have not applied for PIP or have scored less than 8 points, medical evidence would be required to support your application.
  • are in receipt of War Pensioner’s mobility component
  • have suffered an illness or permanent injury, which has left you with a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to walk. You may be asked to attend a mobility assessment with a qualified occupational therapist
  • do not have arms or have a long term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability, that is defined as a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would have your application for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under part iii of the Road Traffic Act 1988 refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness), otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

We also offer concessionary travel to residents who are in contact with specialist mental health services and have an enhanced care plan under the care programme approach. Applications under this criterion should be completed by your mental health professional.

To apply for the Disabled person's Freedom Pass you need to fill in the Disabled person's Freedom Pass application form. If you have any problems with the form, please contact the accessible transport team.

Disabled person's Freedom Pass application form

Freedom Passes are posted to your home address. This may take up to 10 working days.

For other ways to apply or for more information please contact the accessible transport team.

Lost, stolen or damaged Freedom Passes

Contact the Freedom Pass help line on 0300 330 1433 (local rate, Monday to Sunday, 8am to 8pm) or email at

There is a £12 charge for replacement Freedom Passes.

For more information, please visit the Freedom Pass website.

Data protection and privacy

Freedom Pass privacy notice

Translate this website