Shepherds Bush Station public spaces protection order
Public Spaces Protection Order to support responsible street entertaining, busking and amplified public speaking in public spaces
We've introduced a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) in the area outside Shepherds Bush Station (Central Line), to tackle noise nuisance from busking, street entertainment and amplified public speaking.
We consulted widely on this issue over spring 2016 and the overwhelming response was that something should be done to address noisy busking, street entertainment and amplified public speaking outside Shepherds Bush Station. After further consultation in Summer 2019 this order was extended for a further three years.
What are the restrictions?
The activities described below are prohibited from 23 June 2016, outside of the hours of 10am and 6pm: street entertaining, busking and public speaking.
- you are prohibited from street entertaining, busking and amplified public speaking outside of the hours of 10am and 6pm. Within the area shown outlined in red on the attached map
- you are prohibited from permitting music or voice to be amplified to a level to be so loud that it can be heard beyond the area shown outlined in red on the attached map
- you are prohibited from using mains electricity or generator power for the purposes of amplification
- you are prohibited from using microphones, loudspeakers, megaphones, loud hailers or any other similar equipment designed to amplify the volume of speech or music
- buskers, street entertainers and public speaking shall not occupy any one location for more than one (1) hour at a time within the area shown outlined in red on the attached map. There shall be no return to the area shown outlined in red on the attached map within any 24 hour period
- you are prohibited from busking, entertaining and public speaking within 50 metres of another busker, street entertainer or public speaker.
It is an offence for a person without reasonable excuse to engage in an activity that is prohibited by this order. A person found to be in breach of this order is liable on summary conviction to a maximum penalty of £1,000 or to a fixed penalty notice of £100 (reduced to £60 if paid within 10 days).
Why are the powers needed?
These powers are designed to balance the rights of residents and visitors to enjoy our public spaces, with the need to tackle noise nuisance efficiently.
View a full copy of the order
View a copy of the signed order: Shepherds Bush Central line station PSPO (pdf 250 PDF)
To report PSPO breaches:
- Environmental protection
- 020 8753 1081 or 020 8748 8588 (This phone number is not a dedicated number solely for PSPO breaches. All calls go through to our contact centre.)
For further information:
- Noise and nuisance
- 020 8753 1081