Public Spaces Protection Order for Shepherds Bush Station
We've introduced a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) in the area outside Shepherds Bush Station (Central Line), to tackle noise nuisance from busking, street entertainment and amplified public speaking.
A PSPO, created by the 2014 Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act, is intended to deal with any particular nuisances or problems in a defined area that affects the local community’s quality of life. This is done by imposing restrictions on the use of that area which applies to everyone. The aim is to stop individuals or groups committing antisocial behaviour in public spaces.
We consulted widely on this issue over spring 2016 and the overwhelming response was that something should be done to address noisy busking, street entertainment and amplified public speaking outside Shepherds Bush Station. We have therefore taken the step of introducing a PSPO.
Restrictions and controlled zone
We make this order, being satisfied on reasonable grounds that the activities set out below have had or are likely to have a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality. We are also satisfied that the effect, or likely effect, of the activities are unreasonable and justify the restrictions imposed by the order for the purpose of reducing antisocial behaviour in a public place.
The activities described below are prohibited from 23 June 2016, outside of the hours of 10am and 6pm: street entertaining/busking/public speaking
- you are prohibited from street entertaining/busking/ amplified public speaking outside of the hours of 10am and 6pm. Within the area shown outlined in red on the attached map
- you are prohibited from permitting music or voice to be amplified to a level to be so loud that it can be heard beyond the area shown outlined in red on the attached map
- you are prohibited from using mains electricity or generator power for the purposes of amplification
- you are prohibited from using microphones/loudspeakers/megaphones/loud hailers or any other similar equipment designed to amplify the volume of speech or music
- buskers/street entertainers/ public speaking shall not occupy any one location for more than one (1) hour at a time within the area shown outlined in red on the attached map. There shall be no return to the area shown outlined in red on the attached map within any 24 hour period
- you are prohibited from busking/entertaining/public speaking within 50 metres of another busker/street entertainer or public speaker.
It is an offence for a person without reasonable excuse to engage in an activity that is prohibited by this order. A person found to be in breach of this order is liable on summary conviction to a maximum penalty of £1,000 or to a fixed penalty notice of £100.
You can report breaches of the PSPO to us:
- 020 8753 1081 or 020 8748 8588
This phone number is not a dedicated number solely for PSPO breaches. All calls go through to our contact centre.