H&F equality objectives
H&F, as a local public authority, has a general equality duty to ensure equality and good relations. When exercising their functions, public authorities must act in line with the ‘Public Sector Equality Duty’ as set out in the Equality Act 2010.
Public authorities must have due regard to the need to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the act
- advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
There are also specific duties to help authorities improve their performance on the general equality duty, by improving their focus and transparency. Setting equality objectives is one of these specific duties.
In seeking to identify a new suite of equality objectives to focus on, a wide-ranging consultation was carried out in early 2021 where we asked residents and staff for their views on our draft Equalities Plan which set out our plan and objectives for the next four years. The following priorities and objectives were agreed:
- Everyone in our borough feels valued and they belong
- Removing barriers to inclusion
- Ensuring that our services tackle the disproportionate impact on young people (including those at risk of street crime and exploitation by gangs)
- Improving opportunities for all
- Becoming an employer of choice and fostering greater inclusion
Equalities Plan 2021-2025
We’re committed to making Hammersmith & Fulham the most inclusive borough in the country; a place where everyone feels valued and residents have equal access to the opportunities our borough offers. Fundamental to achieving that is identifying and dismantling inequalities that hold us back.
We’d like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to the consultation. We reviewed all the responses and have incorporated them in Equalities Plan.
View the Equalities Plan
A series of actions will be taken to promote each of these priorities and objectives. Measures will also be identified to track progress and outcomes. These will be published soon.