What happens if I don’t pay my council tax?

Your council tax bill tells you how much you have to pay for the year, and the dates you have to pay it.

The vast majority of people pay on time, mostly using a direct debit.

You need to register your council tax account in My Account to set up direct debit online.

Set up a direct debit

More ways to pay your council tax

Help if you’re having problems

If you’re having problems paying, we’d like to help before you face any recovery action.

So contact us about your council tax as soon as you can or find out about the help available if you're struggling to pay

Reminders and final notices

If you haven’t contacted us about a problem paying your bill, and you miss an instalment, we’ll ask you to bring your account up to date. 

If you don't pay your instalments by the dates they are due, we will send you a reminder notice, asking for payment in seven days.

If you pay the amount you owe but fall behind with your instalments again we will send a second reminder. This will give you seven days to bring your instalments up to date. 

We can only send two reminder notices in any one financial year.

So if you pay late a third time you will be sent a final notice for the full amount for the rest of the year, and you will lose your right to pay in instalments.

If you’ve received a final notice and want to pay and avoid costs, make a payment today.

Pay your council tax

You can also set up a direct debit for next year. See the Ways to pay council tax page.

Court action

If you don’t pay after we’ve sent a final notice, we’ll apply to the Magistrates’ Court for a summons to be issued against you for the full amount of council tax you owe. This costs us £93 which we’ll add to the amount you owe.

The summons tells you the total amount of council tax you owe, the period it refers to, and the costs you have to pay.

If you’ve received a summons and want to pay, make a payment today.

Pay your council tax

You can also set up a direct debit for next year. See the Ways to pay council tax page.

Need help paying?

If you’re struggling to pay your council tax or facing financial difficulties, we’d like to help you. Please contact us before the court date. Once a summons has been issued, there are limited options for making payment arrangements.

If you don’t contact us, we’ll ask the court to issue a liability order. This gives us authority to take recovery action. We don’t want to do that, so please get in touch.

Recovery action

A liability order from court allows us to choose any of the following methods to recover the money you owe.

  • Attachment to benefits. We can ask the DWP to make deductions from your Jobseekers’ Allowance, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Pension Credit.
  • Attachment to earnings. We can order your employer to make deductions from your wages.
  • A charging order on your property - We could force you to sell your property to pay for your arrears.
  • Bankruptcy – we can apply to make you bankrupt.
  • Attachment to benefits

If you’re receiving benefits, we can ask the Department for Work and Pensions to send us part of the money you receive in benefits.

The amount deducted is £3.75 a week for Income Support and Jobseeker's Allowance.

For contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, one third of your allowance is deducted.

For income-based Employment and Support Allowance, five per cent of your allowance is duducted.

Deductions continue until the amount on the liability order is fully paid, or until your benefit stops for any reason.

Attachment to earnings

If you’re employed, we can ‘attach to your earnings’. This means that we will ask your employer to take a percentage of your net earnings from your salary and pay it directly to us.

The tables show these percentages, which are set by the government and are not negotiable.

Deduction rates
Weekly earnings Monthly earnings Amount taken
Up to £75 Up to £300 0%
£75 to £135 £300 to £550 3%
£135 to £185 £550 to £740 5%
£185 to £225 £740 to £900 7%
£225 to £335 £900 to £1,420 12%
£335 to £505 £1,420 to £2,020 17%
Over £505 Over £2,020 17% on the first £505 (weekly) or £2,020 (monthly) then 50% on the rest

Your employer can also deduct an extra £1 each time to cover their administrative costs.

The deductions will continue until the amount on the liability order is paid.

If you change jobs, or stop working, you must tell the council within 14 days.

Bankruptcy and liquidation

If you, (or for business rates - your company), owe more than £5,000, and you have been summonsed, we may start bankruptcy (or for business rates - liquidation) proceedings against you.

First, we will send you a statutory demand which will give you 21 days to pay us the full amount. Please contact us immediately.

If you don’t settle the statutory demand, we’ll present a petition for bankruptcy or liquidation in the High Court.

If we issue a bankruptcy order against you, this will mean:

  • the official receiver will investigate your affairs
  • your bank accounts will be frozen
  • you will lose your credit rating and be blacklisted from getting any more credit
  • you could be forced to sell your home to pay your debts.

If you’re made bankrupt, the official receiver will control your spending for three years.

  • If a liquidation order is granted against your company, this will mean:
  • you will not be allowed to be a company director
  • your company will be wound up by the official receiver
  • your personal bank accounts could be frozen
  • you could be forced to sell your home.

Please do not ignore the statutory demand.

Contact us

  • 020 8753 6681 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Our busiest times are all day Monday and between 12noon and 2pm on other weekdays. If you can, please try to avoid ringing us at these times.
  • counciltax@lbhf.gov.uk
  • Visit the customer service centre, 145 King Street, where you can self-serve. We are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm