Markets and street trading frequently asked questions

  • 1. How often do licences need to be renewed?

    A temporary licence is valid for 6 months and this needs to be renewed once its expired. It will not guarantee a pitch. Vacant pitches are issued to casual traders on a daily basis.

    A permanent licence is valid for 12 months.

  • 2. How can I apply for a licence?

    You can apply for a licence by downloading an application form from the traders information page or email the Street Trading Team on: and we will email an application form to you.

    If you are subject to immigration control i.e. a Non EEA Citizen, Non Commonwealth Citizen with the right of abode, or a Commonwealth Working Holiday Maker, you will need to bring the papers from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate with you. If you are a Non EEA student we will not be able to give you a licence. Non EEA students cannot be self-employed and street traders fall under the self-employed bracket.

  • 3. Can I sell other commodities/goods on my market stall?

    No. You can only sell the commodities that are specified on your licence – all goods must be in the same primary commodity. A list of commodities can be found on our website. We do not licence the sale of “fancy goods”, “novelties”, “bric-a-brac” or “miscellaneous goods” without a definite description, you must give full details of the specific commodities you wish to sell.

  • 4. Can I just change what I sell whenever I want to?

    No. You will need to make a request by email to or write to The Street Trading Team, 25 Bagleys Lane, SW6 2QA. You should consider what
    other traders are selling as there are set limits on numbers of traders selling the same or similar products. 

  • 5. Are market traders entitled to holidays?

    Permanent traders can take up to one month’s holiday each year from 1 April to 31 March. Please note the pitch fees are still payable during this period. Traders should
    notify the street trading team when they are taking holidays.

  • 6. As a permanent trader what happens if I am sick?

    If you are unable to trade due to illness, you will need to present a medical certificate to the street trading team. Medical certificates can only be accepted for 4 week periods.

  • 7. Can I trade on a Sunday or Bank Holidays?

    Our markets are normally closed on Sundays and bank holidays with the exception of Good Friday, which is a normal trading day.

  • 8. Can I transfer my street trading licence to a friend?

    No. A permanent licence can only be transferred to a relative in the event of:

    • Death
    • Retirement at normal retirement age
    • Inability to trade due to ill-health

    For this purpose, you can only transfer a permanent licence to the relative named on your application form.

  • 9. I want to make a complaint regarding street trading, how can I do this?

    Please email: H& (H&F Council complaints and enquiries team)

  • 10. How can I become a market trader?

    You can become a market trader by downloading and completing an application form and emailing it to

    We issue two types of licences; temporary and permanent. Initially you will need to trade on a temporary licence for at least 3 months before you can apply for a
    permanent licence. A permanent trader must trade for a minimum of 4 days.

  • 11. What is the difference between a temporary licence and a permanent licence?

    With a temporary licence you trade when you want by calling us and paying in advance for the vacant pitch you wish to trade on. You can book any of our vacant
    and available pitches daily, weekly or a month in advance.

    With a permanent licence you must trade for at least 4 days and you’ll get a permanent fixed pitch, which is valid from 1st April to 31st March.

  • 12. How do I pay for my pitch?

    Casual traders must pay at least one day in advance with credit/debit card by telephoning our Street Trading Team on 020 8753 3916.

    Permanent traders will receive an annual invoice which should be paid weekly or monthly in advance using their chosen payment method.

  • 13. What do I need to bring with my application form when I arrange an appointment with the street trading team?

    Updated Public Liability Insurance for the year (year)

    • Proof of address (not older than 3 months)
    • Proof of Identification – valid passport or full UK driving licence
    • National Insurance number (NI card or letter from HMRC)
    • Food hygiene certificate (if selling food – not older than 3yrs)
    • Registration of food business certificate/document (if selling food)
    • 2 x passport size photographs signed and dated on the back
    • £56.00 registration fee for a permanent licence or £30.00 for a temporary licence (payable by credit/debit card)
    • Signed and dated Street Trading Terms and Conditions form

    In addition, you will need to bring the following documents for all assistants named on the application form:

    • 1 passport size photograph signed and dated on the back
    • Photo ID – passport or driving licence
    • Proof of address (not older than 3 months)
    • National Insurance number (NI card or letter from HMRC)
    • Proof of Employment Liability Insurance if you employ assistants

    If you are subject to immigration control i.e. a Non EEA Citizen, Non Commonwealth Citizen with the right of abode, or a Commonwealth working holiday maker, you will need to bring the papers from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate. If you are a Non EEA student we won’t be able to give you a licence. Non EEA students cannot be self-employed (street traders fall under the self-employed bracket).

    Please note we only accept original documents and cannot process your application without all the above documentation.

  • 14. How long will my application take to process?

    Please make an appointment first before attending the office, office hours are 9am-5pm Mon – Fri only.

    Once you have visited the street market office at 25 Bagleys Lane, SW6 2QA and your commodity list and documents have been verified you will receive your street trading licence within 3 working days.


Want to stay connected with H&F? Sign-up to the council