Building material permit
If you wish to place building materials on any part of the highway (public road) in Hammersmith & Fulham, you must apply to us for a permit.
The materials in total must be no longer than five metres and no wider than two metres. While the materials are on site a parking bay must be suspended.
The minimum permit period for building materials is one month. After this time, you will need to renew your permit. Renewal is not automatic and will depend on the way works have been carried out during the period of the original permit. If you need to extend or renew parking bay suspension please allow a minimum of two working days and must have a valid building materials permit.
Please allow five working days for us to process your application. You can only apply for your building materials permit online.
Display your building material permit
You must display a laminated copy of any current building material permit on the licensed building materials where they stand on the highway. If you don't, we may issue a fixed penalty notice (fine).
How much does it cost?
A building materials permit fee is £69.90 for the first month and £60.70 for each extra month.
There is an extra charge of £40 for parking bay suspension per day increasing to £80 per day for suspensions over 43 days.
A parking bay suspension may not be required for the full month of the building materials permit and may be booked as and when required, however it is an offence to place building materials on the public highway with no parking bay suspension.
Fees are paid for at the same time as the application using a credit or debit card.
Permit fees are non-refundable unless we decide a site is unsuitable and no alternative location can be agreed on.
The link above will take you to My Account where you need to sign in (or create an account if you do not already have one) to then proceed to apply for a highways permit.
We charge a £66.90 admin fee for all licences processed manually.
Renewals and enquiries
From Monday 3 April, we will be dealing with renewal applications by telephone. Please call us between 10am and 4pm
For renewals and any enquires please call us on 020 8753 3447, 020 8753 4807 or 020 8753 2466 (Fridays only.
Conditions of use
The licensee is entirely responsible for the materials and must follow these terms and conditions.
If you don't, we may start enforcement action, including fixed penalty notices and/or prosecution. If any of the requirements of this licence are not followed, we may take such measures as necessary to remove the materials and clean and repair the highway and you will be liable for the costs incurred.
Enforcement officers will be patrolling the streets of the borough on a regular basis to make sure that all materials are legitimately sited; that you follow the terms and conditions set out in the permit and the materials are promptly removed after the permit expires.
Terms and conditions
1. The building materials shall not be left on the public highway unlicensed. To extend your licence and parking bay suspension renewal application forms must be in two working days before expiry dates.
2. The building materials shall not be deposited outside the agreed location specified on the licence.
3. A laminated copy of the licence (or subsequent renewal) shall be displayed prominently at the site while the building materials are on the public highway.
4. The drainage channel must be kept clear of building materials at all times.
5. Deposited building materials must not exceed more than one parking bay 5 metres in length, 2 metres in width and 1.2 metres in height.
6. Building materials deposited on the public highway must be guarded by at least three traffic cones.
(a) Where traffic cones are required as in (a) above but in addition a lamp shall be placed at each corner of the building materials. Each lamp shall have an illuminated power of not less than one candela, shall be clearly visible to all traffic and shall remain lit during the hours of darkness.
7. If required by us, building materials or other things, such as a portable toilet may need to be surrounded by a hoarding. However portable toilets will require a separate permit approval. See portable toilet cubicle permits for details.
8. Remove the building materials from the highway or reposition it if required by the police or us especially on event days for example football matches.
9. The site and surrounding area shall be kept in a clean and tidy condition at all times and prevent spillage onto the highway.
10. Concrete mixing or similar materials should only be done on the carriageway only NOT on the footway and spot boards should be used to protect the highway.
11. Remove the building materials from the highway and leave site in a clean and tidy condition when the licence expires.
12. There are no flammable, explosive, noxious or dangerous material, or material which is likely to putrefy or become a nuisance shall be put on a highway.
13. Shall not place on the footway any building materials as this is an obstruction and dangerous to pedestrians.
14. Staining of the carriageway carries a possible fine / or prosecution.
15. The cost of removing any stains on the carriageway will be recovered from the licensee.